Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtek ALC215 / ALC285 / ALC289 Support Coming To Linux 4.13

Phoronix: Realtek ALC215 / ALC285 / ALC289 Support Coming To Linux 4.13

Among the sound changes coming for Linux 4.13 is supporting some new Realtek audio codecs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Aren't the Realtek ALC2xx series some really low quality shitty circuits?
    The good ones are the ALC8xx series, and the Realtek ALC 1150.

The ALC2xx series are 2 channel.
    The ALC6xx series are 6 channels, i.e. 5.1 channel which is five channels and a subwoofer.
    The ALC8xx series are 8 channels.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      They are low end, not "really low quality shitty circuits". They lack features that are unnecessary for some usecases, they are not lower quality. For example on mobile and most laptops you don't usually need more than stereo and basic sound anyway.

So yeah, I somewhat doubt we will see them in mobos that usually have 6 or 8 channels, on laptops and tablets there will probably be a bunch.

Comment

Meanwhile Dell's tablet support in rt286 driver is still not fixed and nobody answer: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=150601

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          They are low end, not "really low quality shitty circuits". They lack features that are unnecessary for some usecases, they are not lower quality. For example on mobile and most laptops you don't usually need more than stereo and basic sound anyway.

So yeah, I somewhat doubt we will see them in mobos that usually have 6 or 8 channels, on laptops and tablets there will probably be a bunch.
          Oh, I didn't know any tablets used Realtek chips. I thought tablets all used Qualcomm Snapdragon or MediaTek.

But yeah I guess the ALC2xx and ALC5xx series probably are used on laptops.

Comment

The good ones are the ALC8xx series, and the Realtek ALC 1150.
            False. For example, the ALC650 and ALC850 are old AC97 codecs (i.e. before the "High Def"/Azalia standard).

Comment

Oh, I didn't know any tablets used Realtek chips. I thought tablets all used Qualcomm Snapdragon or MediaTek.
              I was talking about DAC chips, not main SoC. These chips are only DAC, they convert digital sound into analog sound they can send to audio jacks.
              The main system can be whatever, Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, Mediatek. They still need these things if they have sound output/input, and even 6 channels are pointless for a large swath of the market.

Comment

I don't get it - there are some Realtek chipsets that went unsupported for years (such as what you'll find in some Bay Trail SoCs) and yet we're getting support for 3 chipsets that (according to Michael) isn't yet found in any hardware?

Odd priorities...

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Meanwhile Dell's tablet support in rt286 driver is still not fixed and nobody answer: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=150601
                  Headphone jack is not working on my laptop, also submitted a bug report on bugzilla.kernel.org, NO ANSWER for months. Talk about "this software comes with absolutely no warranty" in Linux, that sounds like a cool statement until the user is actually affected by that statement, something doesnt work, you submit bug report in the appropriate place with all relevant information and yet nobody gives a crap. And no it is not a distribution problem, multiple distributions with multiple versions of kernels and Alsa have been tested and none of them worked which clearly indicates problem is found on the driver level.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                    Headphone jack is not working on my laptop, also submitted a bug report on bugzilla.kernel.org, NO ANSWER for months. Talk about "this software comes with absolutely no warranty" in Linux, that sounds like a cool statement until the user is actually affected by that statement, something doesnt work, you submit bug report in the appropriate place with all relevant information and yet nobody gives a crap. And no it is not a distribution problem, multiple distributions with multiple versions of kernels and Alsa have been tested and none of them worked which clearly indicates problem is found on the driver level.
                    Well, you knew it beforehand, if you have problems with Linux none is forced to give a crap so you didn't go in with high expectations.

On Windows land, where theoretically you should get support by either MS or the device manufacturer and there are telephone numbers and emails for support.... none gives a crap anyway.

You only get stupid and useless answers from them, which is imho worse than a contract that explicitly denies any support, followed by a sober silence like you get on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X