Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Jumps On Qt 5.9, Picks Up Default MP3

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Jumps On Qt 5.9, Picks Up Default MP3

OpenSUSE's Tumbleweed rolling-release distribution continues picking up new functionality in a very punctual manner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slower than both Arch Linux and KDE Neon, even only partially rolling KDE Neon got both KDE 5.10.2 and QT 5.9 days ago. Not terribly slower, but slower.

Comment

Well they test everything, this takes a few days usually, and also it is not like the Phoronix article implies that this happened the last two days. Plasma 10.1 came 12th, QT5.9 landed 13th.

Comment

OMG that's like a few days slower! Must migrate to Arch now!

lol.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          OMG that's like a few days slower! Must migrate to Arch now!

lol.
          KDE Neon is a better solution, it is basically Ubuntu LTS with rolling KDE and QT on top of it, all the perks of Ubuntu LTS with latest KDE, Kubuntu should be like this, I am using it for a while now and everything is working well, Nouveau driver however makes graphics look buggy on my Nvidia, proprietary driver is a must have, but I use it anyway so it is not a problem for me, that is a KDE related problem with some Nvidia graphics cards, other desktop environments work fine with the open source driver. Arch Linux is good for testing latest development of various desktop environments and other elements of Linux, but I would never use it as my main system, I tend to install it and then add a bunch of desktop environments and applications on it, use it to keep track of latest software in Linux world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

KDE Neon is a better solution, it is basically Ubuntu LTS with rolling KDE and QT on top of it, all the perks of Ubuntu LTS with latest KDE, Kubuntu should be like this, I am using it for a while now and everything is working well, Nouveau driver however makes graphics look buggy on my Nvidia, proprietary driver is a must have, but I use it anyway so it is not a problem for me, that is a KDE related problem with some Nvidia graphics cards, other desktop environments work fine with the open source driver. Arch Linux is good for testing latest development of various desktop environments and other elements of Linux, but I would never use it as my main system, I tend to install it and then add a bunch of desktop environments and applications on it, use it to keep track of latest software in Linux world.
            Until you need a new kernel, you're sick of adding every PPA known to man, etc. Stable can be a relative term. In my case I had purchased an RX560 and there was no way to prevent KDE Neon (with Ubuntu 16.04 base) from crashing during gameplay.

I've moved from KDE Neon to Tumbleweed and I couldn't be happier. Not for everybody, but I was ready to move on from Ubuntu 16.04.

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post

Until you need a new kernel, you're sick of adding every PPA known to man, etc. Stable can be a relative term. In my case I had purchased an RX560 and there was no way to prevent KDE Neon (with Ubuntu 16.04 base) from crashing during gameplay.

I've moved from KDE Neon to Tumbleweed and I couldn't be happier. Not for everybody, but I was ready to move on from Ubuntu 16.04.
              Installing a new kernel on Ubuntu is as easy as downloading deb packages from Canonical's archives and then installing them with sudo dpkg -i *.deb, no need to add any PPAs nor to compile anything.

Comment

Slower than both Arch Linux and KDE Neon, even only partially rolling KDE Neon got both KDE 5.10.2 and QT 5.9 days ago. Not terribly slower, but slower.
                Just go on to read the full news before you write these.

Comment

yeap... a few days slower!!!

but the extra stability resulting from those tests make it worth it!!!

Comment

Installing a new kernel on Ubuntu is as easy as downloading deb packages from Canonical's archives and then installing them with sudo dpkg -i *.deb, no need to add any PPAs nor to compile anything.
                    is still easier on arch. At least on manjaro there is a GUI tool where you can literally click the kernel you want to install and delete those that you dont want. Not to mention that older kernels keep being around, at least time ago when I tried ubuntu.
                    Also on ubuntu LTS you need to add a lot of ppas to get recent software, and they get broken very often and give trouble to the end user. I cant see myself returning to ubuntu anytime soon, unless it were a pc that I woulnt be using daiy.

But for testing the latest kde technology, neon seems to be a good option.

Comment

Working...
                    X