Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Batch Of AMDGPU Feature Updates For Linux 4.13

Phoronix: Another Batch Of AMDGPU Feature Updates For Linux 4.13

Alex Deucher today submitted what is likely the final set of Radeon/AMDGPU feature updates to be queued in DRM-Next for the upcoming Linux 4.13 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do we know the timeline AMD team are targeting for DC to land upstream?

I know there has been lots of wild speculation and there is a whole bunch of work (so therefore not tomorrow)

I would love a vague timeline like the fedora release "i.e. targeting this date, with lots of go/no go meetings"

Comment

module parameter changes for better handling SI/CIK behavior in the two drivers.
      Good

Also hope somebody can create an idiots guide for switching to AMDGPU drm for SI/CIK.

Comment

You only have to blacklist radeon or disable the module at build time in the first place. What distribution are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          Good

Also hope somebody can create an idiots guide for switching to AMDGPU drm for SI/CIK.
          as mentioned, depending on your distros kernel-settings (enabling experimental SI/CIK-support), you maybe just have to blacklist the radeon-module in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

but besides radV, i didn't see much change with my old hawaii when trying it ^^

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            What distribution are you using?
            Fedora 25

Originally posted by juno View Post
            You only have to blacklist radeon or disable the module at build time in the first place.
            How?
            I don't mess with the kernel normally. I generally just install the distro as it comes cause I am not an advanced user in Linux.

Even the above comments by other posters don't give me much clue about where to start. LOL, that's why I said idiot's guide.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              Do we know the timeline AMD team are targeting for DC to land upstream?
              Doesn't look like there is a timeline at all. Last time AMD tried to mainline their DC/DAL code the maintainer told them off. AMD was basically refusing to follow coding standards etc, also dumping 100k lines in one go. Pretty tone deaf and just plain stupid to expect it to be accepted, maintainer said that code would _never_ be mainlined.

Sure, AMD does a lot of very appreciated open source work, but the story of the DC/DAL is not a good one.

Comment

Switch to Arch and just blacklist the radeon drivers.

Comment

How?
                  I don't mess with the kernel normally. I generally just install the distro as it comes cause I am not an advanced user in Linux.

Even the above comments by other posters don't give me much clue about where to start. LOL, that's why I said idiot's guide.
                  On latest drm-next kernel you can append to the kernel command line these parameters:
                  Code:
                  radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1
                  If you are using GRUB, you can follow this guide to try it temporarily and then, if you want, set them permanently.

Beware that everything could freeze (happens to me on a m265x)

to verify that you are using amdgpu instead of radeon, you can check with the command "lspci -v", find the GPU and check "Kernel driver in use".

If those parameters don't work (it should mean that you are not using the latest code), you can try appending "modprobe.blacklist=radeon" that effectively blacklist the radeon driver and leaves only amdgpu to be used by the gpu.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Fedora 25

How?

From what I can see, Fedora has not enabled amdgpu for SI or CIK in any kernel. You'll have to build it on your own:

When it comes to the `make` commands, use `make menuconfig`, it will fire up a UI which you can navigate through, using your keyboard. Enable AMDGPU for CIK (navigate to drivers, graphics) and disable the radeon module completely, so you won't have to blacklist it.

There might be something like PPAs or the AUR, but I'm not that familiar with fedora. Maybe someone is building or configuring those kernels and you could just take it from there, in that case any fedora user here might have a tip for you.
                    Last edited by juno; 20 June 2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X