Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL Performance On Kabylake - Summer 2017

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL Performance On Kabylake - Summer 2017

With last week having posted some fresh macOS Sierra vs. Linux OpenGL benchmarks, here are some more interesting tests to compare the Intel OpenGL driver on Windows 10 Pro x64 to the open-source Intel OpenGL driver used by Linux. Linux beating macOS wasn't too much surprise considering that Apple has been neglecting OpenGL for years, but the Linux vs. Windows OpenGL comparison is a much tougher battle.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not bad all things considered, although improving the drivers on both Linux and Windows is still needed.

Comment

Too bad the Kaby Lake graphics is pretty much the same as Haswell. Not much have happened. It got some new codec support but the performance remains the same.

Comment

Nice work, Michael! I just miss some games in your benchmark, like Portal 2. I did some quick tests with Portal 2 recently and it seems that Windows 7 x64 is way faster than Linux x64 (kernel 4.11.4 + mesa 17.1.0 + xorg 1.19.3), but it would be great if we could see a Kabylake benchmark done by you.

Comment

Fedora 25 in Uni-Valley seems to be seeing some type of regression?

Comment

How far we've come. I think back in the day we used to make excuses for lower performance on hardware for at least the first year it was out, now it's a matter of when we'll have better performance than Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              How far we've come. I think back in the day we used to make excuses for lower performance on hardware for at least the first year it was out, now it's a matter of when we'll have better performance than Windows.
              Those were valid excuses - open-source drivers do not have the same level of devotion as the Windows closed-source drivers. I get the impression the development agendas are very different too, where the closed-source devs might have direct access to the engineers all the way back to the stages where the GPU is being designed, meanwhile it seems the open-source devs basically just have all the hardware and info given to them after it has already been established.

Kaby Lake GPUs aren't a whole lot different from previous generations, so Intel is modestly caught-up at this point. Regardless, it is exciting to see how caught-up Linux's GPU performance is, including on the AMD side.

Comment

Just installed Mad Max on my new laptop Acer Aspire S13 with a HD620. Works beautifully with Vulkan, perfect for travel.

Comment

does anyone had iris 650 plus tested on?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Those were valid excuses - open-source drivers do not have the same level of devotion as the Windows closed-source drivers. I get the impression the development agendas are very different too, where the closed-source devs might have direct access to the engineers all the way back to the stages where the GPU is being designed, meanwhile it seems the open-source devs basically just have all the hardware and info given to them after it has already been established.

Kaby Lake GPUs aren't a whole lot different from previous generations, so Intel is modestly caught-up at this point. Regardless, it is exciting to see how caught-up Linux's GPU performance is, including on the AMD side.
                    These days the Intel DRI/mesa devs have access to the simulators and specs early on, AFAIK, but definitely still fewer staff.

Comment

Working...
                    X