Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Servo Still Striving For WebGL Support

Phoronix: Mozilla's Servo Still Striving For WebGL Support

One of the latest milestones being worked on for making the Servo browser engine more usable is WebGL support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, new feature work. Meanwhile, Firefox continues to be extremely poorly threaded and uses tons of CPU even with few tabs open and not much going on and uses over an entire core of an i5 4570S to play a Youtube video.

Maybe they'll actually improve using the browser someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
      Cool, new feature work. Meanwhile, Firefox continues to be extremely poorly threaded and uses tons of CPU even with few tabs open and not much going on and uses over an entire core of an i5 4570S to play a Youtube video.
      Yeah, the lack of hardware acceleration for playing media is getting very annoying.

Comment

people still use firefox?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          I've been having to use multiple browsers for years now, because every browser out there seems to focus on features over usability and stability. Every browser goes through cycles of instability for me. Every browser will at times just have terrible performance for me. Web browsers are one of the most important pieces of software on a computer and not a single developer of web browsers seems to treat their product this way.

Firefox always performs like crap but today it decided to waste a constant 50-60% of a core of my i5 4570S on a "Web Content" process even though I had no videos playing or anything, fairly basic extensions, and the same extensions I use on Chromium and Vivaldi (though the code behind them is presumably different for the different browsers). This is in addition to its main process that, as usual, also was using a bunch of CPU.

Back to Vivaldi again, about 8 tabs open. I only see 4 of its processes in my top listing (sorted by CPU usage) and each of those is using under 2% CPU. And the tabs I have open are the same sorts of stuff I had open on Firefox earlier. No Youtube or anything today on either browser.

So Vivaldi it will be for now, but I'm sure I'll find something it screws up on again soon. Then I'll check Chromium and hope it's not a Blink/WebEngine/WebKit problem that affects both. FF is currently at the bottom of the list. But I will probably need it again in the next year.
          Last edited by Holograph; 19 May 2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            Are there other browsers where Noscript and uMatrix work?

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
              Maybe they'll actually improve using the browser someday.
              You running NVIDIA GFX by any chance? If GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS thingy is updated (enabled few versions ago and disabled recently), it behaves poorly in a firefox corner case.

Originally posted by nvidia-developer-reply-on-nvidia-dev-forums
              Hi there,
              just to be clear, the 100% CPU problem is a driver bug. But it is triggered by the use of a very old and rather bad extension, glXWaitVideoSyncSGI, that Firefox appears to be calling.
              They should probably not call that, but we don't report every suboptimal thing we find in applications in the course of our debugging. I personally doubt that Mozilla would care to fix it anyway, seeing as their code is perfectly legal specification-wise.

PM Sent From: http://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1001899/b/t/post/5120124/
              Last edited by Guest; 19 May 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nvidia View Post
                Hi there,
                just to be clear, the 100% CPU problem is a driver bug. But it is triggered by the use of a very old and rather bad extension, glXWaitVideoSyncSGI, that Firefox appears to be calling.
                They should probably not call that, but we don't report every suboptimal thing we find in applications in the course of our debugging. I personally doubt that Mozilla would care to fix it anyway, seeing as their code is perfectly legal specification-wise.

PM Sent From: http://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1001899/b/t/post/5120124/
                Yeah, let's not report bugs, because they will be sure fixed if the ones that find them aren't even arsed to report them.
                <insert Linus "fuck you nvidia" image here>

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

You running NVIDIA GFX by any chance? If GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS thingy is updated (enabled few versions ago and disabled recently), it behaves poorly in a firefox corner case.
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I use Fedora 25, currently on 4.10.15-200-fc25. My video card is a Radeon 290x and I'm using the Radeon driver with Mesa 17.0.5. Normally I prefer to use AMDGPU over Radeon but I am not at the moment.

Firefox also uses a ton of CPU for me on Windows, though not as bad as on Linux. Actually I haven't run Windows on the same machine for months, but I use other machines for that and FF tends to perform relatively poorly compared to other browsers. Just, again, not as bad as on Linux.

Weird thing on Linux is how much CPU it uses even if nothing on screen in any tab is actually loading / refreshing / doing anything in general. Not even so much as an animated GIF. And FF will still be using a bunch of CPU. It doesn't give it up.

And they keep working on features instead of fixing the existing ones.

First I've heard of the problem you noted from nvidia. I'll have to look into whether the same problem is happening for Radeon.
                  Last edited by Holograph; 19 May 2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

My issues with YouTube on Firefox were caused by the site preferring to stream VP9 instead of H.264, which has hardware acceleration. Using this extension fixed the high CPU usage I was seeing.

Comment

Working...
                    X