Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Is Ready With Various Enhancements For Linux 4.12

Phoronix: F2FS Is Ready With Various Enhancements For Linux 4.12

The latest Linux 4.12 merge window pull request worth talking about is that of the Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! I was wondering what to use on my next SSD, tentatively planning on a 960 evo M.2... looked at the last benches and figured, well, may as well go with ext4. Although I don't think those benchmarks included XFS...

Comment

I use btrfs on all of my systems. But f2fs might be good for single disk cases, like most of the laptops. Snapshotting is something that keeps me using btrfs.

Is snapshotting a planned feature for f2fs?

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
        Is snapshotting a planned feature for f2fs?
        FWIR nope, even though it uses CoW for everything, there are design decisions that make that unfeasable.

Comment

F2FS looks really promising but I recently lost almost a complete "disk" due to a couple of bugs:
          * journalizing error (the computer has been shut down properly)
          * buggy fsck which seg-faults

I did not encounter this for a decade (!)

Comment

kieffer When fsck was buggy for me (it was unable to fix some errors) the devs fixed it pretty quick so the SSD is still running with f2fs today. Also I'm using f2fs on a lot of systems (from embedded to desktops) so your bugs scare me. If not already done please report the bugs (to the mailing list).

Comment

Originally posted by kieffer View Post
              F2FS looks really promising but I recently lost almost a complete "disk" due to a couple of bugs:
              * journalizing error (the computer has been shut down properly)
              * buggy fsck which seg-faults

I did not encounter this for a decade (!)
              Also in LEDE with f2fs-tools 1.7.0 there were ridiculous issues about fsck hosing the partition instead of fixing it on MIPS arch. Currently fixed in 1.8.0.

Comment

V10lator, the bug was in the packaged version of f2fs for debian.

Recompiling the tools allowed to "whipe-out" the lost files

Comment

Working...
                X