Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Laptop Driver Improvements Slated For Linux 4.12: Lenovo, Dell, Fujitsu, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Laptop Driver Improvements Slated For Linux 4.12: Lenovo, Dell, Fujitsu, Etc

Phoronix: Intel Laptop Driver Improvements Slated For Linux 4.12: Lenovo, Dell, Fujitsu, Etc

The platform-drivers-x86 updates were submitted this afternoon for the Linux 4.12 kernel and it's on the heavier side with a lot of new material for benefiting Intel-powered laptops/ultrabooks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ability to disable//enable 3G/LTE on modern Dell devices would be nice.

Comment

The thinkpad_acpi driver was updated with mappings for new hotkeys.
      LOL, the first thing I did was to disable the hot keys, in BIOS. I was a bit surprised they even worked in Linux, in the first place.

Actually, it only defaults them back to the F1-F12 keys. You can still hit the modifier if you want push-button volume control, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        LOL, the first thing I did was to disable the hot keys, in BIOS. I was a bit surprised they even worked in Linux, in the first place.

Actually, it only defaults them back to the F1-F12 keys. You can still hit the modifier if you want push-button volume control, for instance.
        I don't really care whether they worked in Linux or not, since my laptops are always muted 99.999% of the time regardless of the operating system I'm on. All those notification alerts, bells and dialog alerts are really annoying when I'm trying to focus on my work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          All those notification alerts, bells and dialog alerts are really annoying when I'm trying to focus on my work.
          Well, yes. I could never forgive the sub-genius who thought it was a good idea for computers to throw noises in our faces, all day. I was just using the volume-control keys as an example.

Comment

The Dell XPS 13 with Infinity Edge screen is sexy.

I want a laptop that can be charged over USB Type-C.
            No more proprietary or non-standard connectors or chargers please.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              The Dell XPS 13 with Infinity Edge screen is sexy.

No more proprietary or non-standard connectors or chargers please.
              I actually thought at one stage, when I had first heard (and saw the piccies) about the latest USB, that it was going to be a convergence format. Include everything like power inputs and video-outputs. It's something I've dreamed about ever since docking stations, and judging by Dell's offerings, their docking stations, suing Type-C are doing this. And in an open manner as well.

The option is there I guess for a lot of cool and unsual things for Type-C, as the wiring diagrammes allowed for some future proofing for the crazy idea's, but I wonder if it could be wired in to the charging system internally.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Google's Pixel C was probably first to feature this. I'm 99% sure my Thinkpad 13 can do it.

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Include everything like power inputs and video-outputs. It's something I've dreamed about ever since docking stations,
                Doesn't video over USB 3 have some compromises, like compression or not using the host's GPU? I've read things to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Doesn't video over USB 3 have some compromises, like compression or not using the host's GPU? I've read things to that effect.
                  Thunderbolt 3 uses USB Type-C connectors and it can have multiple protocols so you can run DisplayPort over that.

Comment

So the options are there. If you lock your self to Intel. I'm planning on Raven Ridge personally for the obvious reasons.
                    Hi

Comment

Working...
                    X