Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-Libre 4.11 Kernel Released

Phoronix: GNU Linux-Libre 4.11 Kernel Released

Freshly derived from the Linux 4.11 kernel release less than 24 hours ago, GNU Linux-libre 4.11 is available with additional "deblogging" to make the kernel more free software friendly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Deblogging? Typo?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Freshly derived from the Linux 4.11 kernel release less than 24 hours ago, GNU Linux-libre 4.11 is available with additional "deblogging" to make the kernel more free software friendly

Comment

I'm a big fan of of open source software, but I don't understand authors of this project. This kernel is useless for a most of cases. Of course if someone can't use kernel with proprietary microcodes also shouldn't use hardware with built-in proprietary microcodes, so nearly all semi modern hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
        I'm a big fan of of open source software, but I don't understand authors of this project. This kernel is useless for a most of cases. Of course if someone can't use kernel with proprietary microcodes also shouldn't use hardware with built-in proprietary microcodes, so nearly all semi modern hardware...
        Not to mention, than no Intel/AMD CPU would even boot without secret-sauce-binary-blobs for eg. DRam initialisation. Even is you are using Coreboot, you will have to use such blobs. Such efforts can be summed up as head->ass->stuck, and valid open-source efforts aren`t helped by such nutcases.

Comment

Awesome job! Always remember that freedom is not free, and hard job will eventually pay off.

​​​​​​Thanks GNU!

Comment

This gnu project hurds my brain in so many ways.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the linux-libre project -- it's a quick-and-easy place to check for what hardware to avoid wasting money on.

If the driver's a blob, and the hardware doesn't have documentation to allow you to write your own, then the hardware's intended to make you spend MORE money later. It's just planned obsolescence to line the pockets of lawyers and management, stroke the egos of insecure engineers (oh hoohoohoo, nobody can see how shitty a programmer I really am!), and fund more gold- and silicon-funded warlords.

Comment

Why simply not use OpenBSD? 😂 but what it's worth good effort from GNU.

Comment

What he does not need some amount of blob to run?

CPU need microcode
                  Video cards need firmwares
                  HDD need microcode
                  Most expansions cards have some embedded blob in them....

What's the point of using an older and more bugger CPU microcode and what can you really do with a 3dfx or a rage 128 card? (So you can run your complete system without adding any blob)

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                    My thinkpad X220 with a core i5 works just fine with it, is that not semi-modern?

Comment

Working...
                    X