No announcement yet.

OpenLara: Open-Source Engine Remake For Tomb Raider, Including WebGL Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenLara: Open-Source Engine Remake For Tomb Raider, Including WebGL Version

Phoronix: OpenLara: Open-Source Engine Remake For Tomb Raider, Including WebGL Version

OpenLara is an open-source effort to have a engine re-implementation of the classic Tomb Raider game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a bit worried about how this all goes together with copyrights... Sounds to me like a Cease and Desist letter waiting to happen.

Still, with graphics that simple it shouldn't be too hard to pull off and the codebase should be pretty clean just out of the lack of features like programmable shaders.

Comment

Will it also work for the Brian Lara cricket games?

Comment

Copyright doesn't apply when they're only providing the barebone engine without copyrightable material (models, textures, audio files, video files, etc) of any sort.
        Problem is ... their WebGL Emscripten build does contain copyrighted material and I'm not sure it still goes under fair-use.

Comment

Impressive! I hadn't heard about either project and I was curious as to why a second project was started. Note that OpenLara is not a fork. Apparently OpenTomb development has been fragmented due to disagreements between developers.

I spent some time bringing DOSBox with OpenGLide support to Gentoo a little while back. It almost feels like a wasted effort now but neither engine is fully playable yet and there other games you can use OpenGLide with. Maybe I could get one or both of these engines packaged but it's probably too early right now.
          Last edited by Chewi; 24 April 2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I own physical copies of all these games.
            It'd be nice if playing them on Linux was as easy as popping in the console versions into my Saturn and PS1.
            So much nostalgia, loved the old trapezoidal PC boxes with the flip-up fold.

Comment

Anyone knows the status of this?
              I actually own the original Tmob Raider but it is incompatible with modern hardware/software...
              I'd very much like to play it again

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                Impressive! I hadn't heard about either project and I was curious as to why a second project was started. Note that OpenLara is not a fork. Apparently OpenTomb development has been fragmented due to disagreements between developers.
                lol "OpenTomb" sounds like a zombie game.
                Pretty weird how there would be disagreements about making an open-source game engine.

I spent some time bringing DOSBox with OpenGLide support to Gentoo a little while back. It almost feels like a wasted effort now but neither engine is fully playable yet and there other games you can use OpenGLide with. Maybe I could get one or both of these engines packaged but it's probably too early right now.
                Are there any Glide games that don't work in DOS Box? If so, I would say keep up the work - somebody is bound to thank you for it. Though I haven't used DOS Box much, I personally haven't had issues running things or using strictly CPU rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Are there any Glide games that don't work in DOS Box? If so, I would say keep up the work - somebody is bound to thank you for it. Though I haven't used DOS Box much, I personally haven't had issues running things or using strictly CPU rendering.
                  I can't take much credit, I just dusted down OpenGLide by applying various fixes, packaged it, and added the corresponding USE flag to the DOSBox package. Here is a list of games that have been tested against the DOSBox patch but it's probably very outdated.

Comment

Tried out the WebGL version on Chrome Android version, worked well! Sounds didn't sound that great, although I don't know how good the original was.

Comment

Working...
                    X