Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15 Will Succeed 42.3

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15 Will Succeed 42.3

What comes after openSUSE Leap 42.3 for SUSE's community non-rolling distribution? Version 15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kinda weird to jump around like that, but I appreciate that version is back to a number that does not remind me Firefox or Chrome.

Comment

MS marketing messed a little

Comment

I observe the naming and versioning strategy from RedHat products in the latest years and it goes in the opposite direction. I have found that they are trying to actively disassociate the enterprise offerings from the community projects. Besides the obvious RHEL / Fedora, I saw change in JBoss platform. In the past JBoss EAP was closely related with the JBoss AS (community). However since a couple of years ago they changed JBoss AS to Wildfly. The version numbers have also been completely let loose. I believe that this is done on purpose so as to make it more confusing to substitute the paid products with their free counterparts - especially at the managerial levels.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Kinda weird to jump around like that, but I appreciate that version is back to a number that does not remind me Firefox or Chrome.
          It kind of weirds me out that people think the Chrome / Firefox naming strategy is bad. Especially Linux users.

Do you actually know why browser releases these days work that way?

It's done so another IE6 situation will never happen again. By having fast development cycles (releases), with each being a seemingly large update (because the major number gets upped by one), users assume that the update is important (they usually are, too) and are much more inclined to update. This is also the reason why the web as a platform has evolved so drastically over the last 5 years or so. Browsers shipping new features fast, and people updating to those new browsers fast has allowed the HTML5-era web to have very fast feature turn-up times.

Sure, we could still be using Chrome 6.8494.929.101, but does that seem like a good idea to anyone?

The major version number bumbs only make sense to me, and work to both make the web a better place, as well as prevent a situation where one browser will become "the standard browser" for multiple years.

Comment

I wonder how many of their users are bleeding to Tumbleweed. I personally just wouldn't like to have an outdate Gnome desktop, otherwise I'm glad there's a brave distro out there that implemented BTRFS + bootable snapshots by default (and with ease of use through the boot menu).

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
              Do you actually know why browser releases these days work that way?
              Yes. Version numbers have little to do with type of development.

users assume that the update is important (they usually are, too) and are much more inclined to update.
              Normal users have no fucking idea and shouldn't even be bothered to check for these technicalities in the first place. The goal of modern computing is to automate this kind of bullshit as much as possible, NOT to require the user to babysit his PC.

In case you didn't notice, on Windows: Firefox and Chrome have their own auto-updater service that runs independently and updates them without having to ask user permission since like 2012 or something. IE or Edge is again updated automatically by MS without asking any permission.

On Linux it's your distro's updates that update Firefox and Chromium, Chrome should theoretically add its own repos to your distro when you install it so again its our distro's updater that deals with it (works for Debian and derivatives, dunno for others).

The major version number bumbs only make sense to me, and work to both make the web a better place, as well as prevent a situation where one browser will become "the standard browser" for multiple years.
              The reason we don't get a situation where one browser won't become "the standard browser" is that the main parties involved agreed on a standard called HTML5 and are more or less sticking to it because they (MS mostly) figured that it is not a good idea to try to go on their own only to get hammered hard by the others. Development speed and version numbers have 0 bearing to that.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                I wonder how many of their users are bleeding to Tumbleweed. I personally just wouldn't like to have an outdate Gnome desktop, otherwise I'm glad there's a brave distro out there that implemented BTRFS + bootable snapshots by default (and with ease of use through the boot menu).
                1. OpenSUSE's main desktop is KDE, and on Leap they use the LTS KDE.
                2. People on Leap and on Tumbleweed are different. The ones on Leap want stability first and don't give a fuck if the DE isn't the latestversion. People on Tumbleweed like new stuff but are prepared to deal with more breakage that is normal in more bleeding edge rolling release distros. Especially with bullshit proprietary applications like Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  1. OpenSUSE's main desktop is KDE...
                  This is a common misunderstanding. No, OpenSUSE's main desktop is not KDE, and neither it's Gnome.
                  The installer lets you choose between the two (and other DE's at a less prominent place) and the distribution doesn't prefer one or another.

Comment

this... hurts my brain and will lose respect. Really wish they kept with the series they were using for a while. Passed 42.3 at least. We can't even call 42.x retroactively 14 with a straight face.

Comment

Working...
                    X