Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoundCube Next Hasn't Seen Any Commits So Far In 2017

Phoronix: RoundCube Next Hasn't Seen Any Commits So Far In 2017

Last September we wrote about RoundCube-Next being woefully behind schedule even after they raised more than one hundred thousand dollars for this massive overhaul to the RoundCube webmail software. Sadly, not much has changed since and the project has yet to see any Git commits in 2017...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"roundcube ran away with the money"

Comment

Hopefully the people who backed it learned a valuable lesson.

Comment

Yea, also Plasma Mobile is not really moving. And the systemd --user alternative to startkde is largely abandoned as well. It's quite unfortunate...

Comment

I was one of the backers

I've since lost interest in the project and have been using SOGo v3 for over a year now. It's able to do *almost* everything that I need from it anyway.

I really wish the Roundcube Next and Kolab teams the best of luck with the project though!

Comment

LMAO, I called this one when it was announced. It seems this "Next" nonsense is $100k vapourware.

Not that current Roundcube even needs a rewrite. It's fantastic as-is, I really like it and will continue to use it.

Comment

Some of the comments on that Indigogo page are saying it's dead thanks to Aaron Siego. Isn't he the guy that also kickstarted the KDE tablet project that failed to ship, even after users bought the thing? KDE Vivaldi, it was called, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                KDE Vivaldi, it was called, if I recall correctly.
                Yes.
                At first it was called Spark, but apparently the name was already taken and they chose a another name (that is, for sure, taken already too).

I was actually quite excited about the tablet... But I kinda knew It wouldn't happen.

Comment

Well that is certainly sad to hear.

The optimist in me just hopes they have been off working on the project in secret (mainly to avoid the bike shed) and will do a big announcement of Alpha 1.

Comment

If they haven't been able to get any developers to work on it they probably haven't been able to spend any of the money either. Because of this refunds shouldn't be completely out of the picture in case they still can't find any developers.

Still... How come? Are they being really picky and limiting themselves to developers who have previously worked on it (in which case it would make sense that said developers are otherwise engaged) or have they not really been looking for developers or advertising open positions.
                    Last edited by L_A_G; 11 April 2017, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X