Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Could Soon Have An Alternative To Microsoft Paint

Phoronix: GNOME Could Soon Have An Alternative To Microsoft Paint

While there is GIMP for advanced image manipulation and then a few other alternatives for more simpler image manipulation or drawing, a new "GNOME Paint" program is in development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll stick with MyPaint thanks. I see some still think a platform needs something from the early 90s to make it `friendly.'

Comment

Please, upgrade Gedit to GPad :;P

Comment

I have recently tried Kolourpaint, and its as good and as easy to use as MS paint. But I guess than gnome want an alternative that uses GTK+

Comment

Pinta is a pretty good app for this too? Seems to be GTK and C#.

Comment

It's mind boggling to me how Kolourpaint is pretty much the only good paint program for Linux, but if you're not using KDE, it needs a lot of dependencies. Most other tools are either tedious/difficult to use, less useful than MS Paint from Windows 3.1, has a stupid amount of dependencies, have many visual glitches, crashes often, and so on. Pinta is probably the 2nd best I've seen and it's frustratingly terrible compared to Kolourpaint.

So, I seriously hope Gnome Paint actually steps things up. Sometimes all I want is just a quick way to draw simple graphics and crop an image.

Comment

Yeah... Wish they'd just pick up Pinta

Comment

Why make something more gimped than The Gimp?

Sorry it was an obligatory joke. I actually use Gimp quite a lot

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  It's mind boggling to me how Kolourpaint is pretty much the only good paint program for Linux, but if you're not using KDE, it needs a lot of dependencies. Most other tools are either tedious/difficult to use, less useful than MS Paint from Windows 3.1, has a stupid amount of dependencies, have many visual glitches, crashes often, and so on. Pinta is probably the 2nd best I've seen and it's frustratingly terrible compared to Kolourpaint.

So, I seriously hope Gnome Paint actually steps things up. Sometimes all I want is just a quick way to draw simple graphics and crop an image.

Unless your distro has lazy maintainer it should only pull Qt5 deps.

Comment

Irfanview capabilities and ease of use would be great for me.

The latest? Kolourpaint doesn't seem to be updated in debian unstable or experimental. Kolourpaint4 requires all the KDE libs.

~$ apt-cache policy kolourpaint4
                    kolourpaint4:
                    Installed: (none)
                    Candidate: 4:16.08.3-1
                    Version table:
                    4:16.08.3-1 650
                    500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
                    650 http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages

~$ apt-cache policy kolourpaint5
                    N: Unable to locate package kolourpaint5
                    Last edited by suberimakuri; 07 April 2017, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X