Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Weston Compositor's Next Version Will Be v3.0

Phoronix: Wayland Weston Compositor's Next Version Will Be v3.0

With the recent Wayland 1.13 release, the Weston reference compositor broke tradition of being the same version as Wayland due to having ABI breakage that forced them to bump the version to 2.0. With the next release, it won't be Weston 2.1 but now Weston 3.0 due to additional ABI breaks for libweston...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Features I want in Weston:
    • Window placement using keyboard shortcuts, e.g. Ctrl+Alt+4 or WinKey+Right.
    • Window snapping when close to edge.
    • Able to place panel dock on bottom.

Comment

Who is using Weston? Gnome uses Mutter, KDE uses KWin. Where are the synergy effects?

Comment

Yes! We need to synergise, thus enabling efficiencies and downsizing overheads to better affect effects!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Who is using Weston? Gnome uses Mutter, KDE uses KWin. Where are the synergy effects?
          the libweston effort started after both gnome and kde started writing their own wayland compositors. It is however a really good starting point for new DE's that want to start their efforts

Comment

Who needs stable ABI? Let's treat it like 99% of OSS and keep it in endless beta and break all the things for no good reason keeping development on an endless treadmill! Yay Endless playtime and tinkering with no hard deadlines or goals in sight! I love OSS!

Comment

Seriously though, make a standard and stick too it. It's 2017, this shit has been going on for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Features I want in Weston:
                • Able to place panel dock on bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Who needs stable ABI? Let's treat it like 99% of OSS and keep it in endless beta and break all the things for no good reason keeping development on an endless treadmill! Yay Endless playtime and tinkering with no hard deadlines or goals in sight! I love OSS!
                  For the sake of fairness, also the other side went into endless beta.

Comment

Why anybody would care about a stable API for userspace components? All apps should all be containerized, like in Flatpak; and base OS devs can update libraries whenever they choose to.

Comment

Working...
                    X