Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Rolling Out New Ignition + TurboFan V8 Compiler Architecture

Phoronix: Google Rolling Out "TurboFan" Optimizing Compiler For JavaScript

The JavaScript engine performance wars are not over with Google preparing to make some significant changes to their V8 JavaScript engine used by Chrome and friends...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael there is a typo:

FulLCodeGen

Comment

This has been quite a long while in the making, great to finally see it happening.

Comment

But the question is, will it run on x32.

Comment

Man. I'm a Firefox holdout, but Chrome makes it so hard to stick with the good guy. I'm going to pretend it's a marketing ploy and they're actually just changing the names.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            But the question is, will it run on x32.
            Hi GreatEmerald, how is your x32 system working out?

I'm deploying it on an under-powered AMD E2-1800 laptop at the moment, seems not all the x32 patches made it upstream, I'm going to have to start pushing again... I totally took my eye off the ball with CMake, what happened? Why didn't they accept the patch? I guess I'm going to have to dig through my mail archive.

At any rate, it's going fairly well so far, still no x32 code-gen support in llvm, however. I've put a new patch for libomp in the Gentoo bugzilla though. Do you have any patches not in my repo or Gentoo Bugzilla?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonB View Post
              Man. I'm a Firefox holdout, but Chrome makes it so hard to stick with the good guy. I'm going to pretend it's a marketing ploy and they're actually just changing the names.
              In this case it was google playing catch-up.
              Firefox's SpiderMonkey (along with the JägerMonkey JIT) is greatly optimized and has been far ahead of Chrome's V8 for years now. About time Google did something about it.
              Obviously Google with their enormous budget has put a lot of effort into Chrome, but contrary to public conception, Firefox isn't that much worse - and Mozilla is working hard on the right background projects to stay in the game - so even if it seems there isn't that much progress, it's brewing and getting along very nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by tg-- View Post
                In this case it was google playing catch-up.
                Firefox's SpiderMonkey (along with the JägerMonkey JIT) is greatly optimized and has been far ahead of Chrome's V8 for years now. About time Google did something about it.
                Obviously Google with their enormous budget has put a lot of effort into Chrome, but contrary to public conception, Firefox isn't that much worse - and Mozilla is working hard on the right background projects to stay in the game - so even if it seems there isn't that much progress, it's brewing and getting along very nicely.
                The arewefastyet website benchmarks indicate that the two are neck-and-neck and have been for a long time. And as far as I know, V8 is ahead on implementing generational garbage collection and collecting some garbage in parallel. The SpiderMonkey wiki references to generational garbage collection and collecting for Firefox are written as though it's planned for this year or next year but not in production yet - though maybe the pages are out of date.

I would put actually links in this post, but that tends to get them blocked by the site spam filter.

I use Firefox and I sincerely hope the Quantum/Servo project and ongoing improvements to SpiderMonkey help it to kick Chrome's buttocks. I just don't want our enthusiasm for the project to make us overstate their position.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                  Hi GreatEmerald, how is your x32 system working out?

I'm deploying it on an under-powered AMD E2-1800 laptop at the moment, seems not all the x32 patches made it upstream, I'm going to have to start pushing again... I totally took my eye off the ball with CMake, what happened? Why didn't they accept the patch? I guess I'm going to have to dig through my mail archive.

At any rate, it's going fairly well so far, still no x32 code-gen support in llvm, however. I've put a new patch for libomp in the Gentoo bugzilla though. Do you have any patches not in my repo or Gentoo Bugzilla?
                  Oh hi!

So far it's quite fantastic. The browser is really the last missing piece of the puzzle. I switched to Otter recently, as that is the only Qt5Webkit browser in the tree at the moment, but of course having a major browser working would be great. I'm also having weird issues running SDDM (the greeter crashes), so I had to switch to LightDM in the mean while.

As for CMake, bitrot, I think? The issue is now here (yay, not Mantis any more): https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/15994

As for other patches, I also looked at https://github.com/orsonteodoro/muslx32 who managed to get Chromium working on x32, but on a nomultilib system only (which apparently makes a whole lot of things work better, as most bugs are improper multilib, ugh).

Also, last I tried, your repositories were failing due to EAPI changes and whatnot. Not sure if you fixed that yet.

Feel free to message me on Freenode. I'm always there, just not always on #gentoo.

Comment

Working...
                  X