Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Windows 10 vs. Linux RadeonSI/RADV Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Radeon Windows 10 vs. Linux RadeonSI/RADV Gaming Performance

On Monday I published a Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux gaming performance comparison with NVIDIA GeForce graphics while today the tables have turned and is a Windows vs. Linux gaming benchmark battle with AMD Radeon graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad 17.2.1 was released just two days ago, since that is newer 16.60 branch. And 17.1.2 is latest of older 16.50, stable going on from september if you want.

So not really new, but OK it was latest available at the time
    Last edited by dungeon; 15 February 2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Wow, I was not expecting the performance to be so close in so many tests. radeonSI obviously has much room for performance improvements, but it is already very competitive against Windows. Very exciting.

Comment

excellent comparison
        i would liked to see amdgpu-pro too

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          excellent comparison
          i would liked to see amdgpu-pro too
          Unfortunately AMDGPU-PRO doesn't work on 16.10 yet and was already a ton of work doing this comparison as is.... (and judging from the NVIDIA article, I only got 2 or 3 new subscribers, so really barely covered costs for all of that benchmarking as is and remains to be seen if will get any new subscribers or donations from this article)
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately AMDGPU-PRO doesn't work on 16.10 yet and was already a ton of work doing this comparison as is.... (and judging from the NVIDIA article, I only got 2 or 3 new subscribers, so really barely covered costs for all of that benchmarking as is and remains to be seen if will get any new subscribers or donations from this article)
            thats logic

also big kudos to mesa developers(especially marek olsak)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Wow, I was not expecting the performance to be so close in so many tests. radeonSI obviously has much room for performance improvements, but it is already very competitive against Windows. Very exciting.
              Just general shader cache, general stabilty if improved and that threaded GL enabled here and there, together with s3tc by default (should expire in october this year)...

Basically as someone said, one year more and it should be fine

Comment

Wow, those Talos numbers are really depressing... Going from 280 FPS on D3D11 to 63 FPS on Linux. A quarter of the performance isn't really uplifting.

Comment

Quite interesting pair of articles.

Comparing the results, we can see that nvidia 1060 prop driver and amd r480 radeonsi are comparable (with 1060 a few fps more) on most games (except 2 games not yet optimized on radeonsi, and unigine, but possibly nvidia is replacing formats or doing tricks for unigine, so...).

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Too bad 17.2.1 was released just two days ago, since that is newer 16.60 branch. And 17.1.2 is latest of older 16.50, stable going on from september if you want.

So not really new, but OK it was latest available at the time
                    what are you talking about? The Talos Principle?

Comment

Working...
                    X