Jolla Still Working On Open-Sourcing More Of Sailfish OS, Including UI/Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Still Working On Open-Sourcing More Of Sailfish OS, Including UI/Apps

Phoronix: Jolla Still Working On Open-Sourcing More Of Sailfish OS, Including UI/Apps

Many Phoronix readers and open-source enthusiasts have complained when hearing of Jolla's Sailfish OS that this Linux-based smartphone OS isn't fully-open and the company hadn't delivered on its promises to open-source more of it, including its user-interface and apps. According to their CEO, that's still looking to happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still need to be able to buy a new Jolla phone. My old one is old and corner of the screen is cracked. I loved the phone, but it has serious shortcomings.

I'm not buying the same old Jolla phone as the hardware by now is significantly obsolete. Jolla-C is unavailable and not much better anyway.

Jolla need to make their product available to buy ASAP. I know they moved in direction of producing software, but so what. Then they need to close some licensing deals ASAP and make 3rd party devices available to buy in EU.

I have money I'm willing to throw their direction NOW, but I am unable to do so.

Comment

I've had SailfishOS on my Nexus 5 now for almost two years. I have to say that the gesture based UI is damn well suited for one-handed use and generally "makes more sense" when I first got the hang of it (took a week or two after used to Android after Nokia N900).
      Now my problem is that sooner or later I need to buy a new phone... I'd hate to go back to Android. In fact I think I'd be better of using iOS, but a) lightning connector, b) the troubles moving files from LinuxPC to iDevice...

*sigh*

Comment

I also use it on Nexus 5, and just bought a spare device to have a backup. I tried looking into running Sailfish (or Plasma Mobile) with upstream kernel and freedreno, but it seems that some blobs have no replacement, so it's not feasible yet.

Looking forward for SailfishOS open sourcing, but it takes them really forever.

And what's the story with the browser? IPC embedlite project is dead, and they are stuck because of that with outdated Gecko version. What are they going to do about it?
        Last edited by shmerl; 08 February 2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Cool. I still have my Jolla phone, still just fine. I keep it in a sleeve, so nothing bad happened to it. And it does everything I want it to do (which is mostly acting as a media player).

Comment

There will probably be a new device in MWC but still nothing official.

Comment

Software-wise the thing I miss the most in Sailfish is the ability to block incoming calls. Phone spam became a real problem in the last few years & without a possibility to block incoming calls (preferably all incoming unless I have the number in my contact list) it's a problem to have a phone at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                Software-wise the thing I miss the most in Sailfish is the ability to block incoming calls. Phone spam became a real problem in the last few years & without a possibility to block incoming calls (preferably all incoming unless I have the number in my contact list) it's a problem to have a phone at all.
                If you are comfortable using 3rd party app for blocking incoming calls, I recommend PhoneHook from Openrepos.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
                  *sigh*
                  I know the feeling, going from N9 to android...

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  There will probably be a new device in MWC but still nothing official.
                  Have there been rumors about a new Sailfish device?

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                    Have there been rumors about a new Sailfish device?
                    If that's true, me too, I have some money to throw at Jolla! That would be *really* amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X