Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Run Fedora Linux On My Main Production System

Phoronix: Why I Run Fedora Linux On My Main Production System

With the Linux benchmarks at Phoronix there is a wide-range of Linux distributions (as well as BSDs, macOS, and the occasional Solaris and Windows) tested, but the operating system I end up running on my most-important production system is still Fedora Workstation. Recently I was interviewed by Fedora Magazine about my thoughts on the Red Hat backed distribution and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for this interview bit; it was great (fun), but I guess I can see why these questions were finally cut.

Now, my turn to share my very latest Wayland experience (spoiler: it's far from stellar. I did not write a bug report yet, though).

KDE plasma 5 has been broken since the beginning on Wayland on my computer. To make it more likely to work, I unplugged my second monitor, since I had issues...

Comment

You're obviously not smart enough to use Debian testing. With Xfce. And wicd.

And about Wayland, I installed F25 in a VM and Wayland crashed fast (i.e. on login). Switching back to X worked no problem.

Comment

Newer versions of LLVM would be nice. :P

Comment

Congrats on the props. Ballin' like a G.

Comment

Why are you on a mac in that picture of you holding a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Penguin View Post
              Newer versions of LLVM would be nice. :P
              pretty recent llvm:

mesa git built with above llvm:

I expect that you know how to roll back if you run into issues.

Comment

Cool. Twice in the past three years I migrated a machine from Fedora to Ubuntu because I thought I was having Fedora device driver problems. Both times I was wrong.

Once it was a broken GPU (wouldn't even run reliably on Windows in two different motherboards, when another GPU was rock solid).

Once it was the work VPN software I was using, SuckPoint. I can't speak for all of their products, but for the one I was using their Linux support was a fiction. The connection was reliable as long as you weren't transferring data faster than 150 kb/s. I wasn't the only engineer having the problem, either. But by the time I figured out the problem was the VPN software and not the host OS, I didn't feel like going through another wipe and reinstall.

Comment

It's just too bad that Fedora still doesn't give its users the choice to run a soft real-time Linux kernel for gaming or audio/video production like Ubuntu does with the "lowlatency" kernel package!
                  Thus, Fedora is basically useless for any enjoyable user-experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    It's just too bad that Fedora still doesn't give its users the choice to run a soft real-time Linux kernel for gaming or audio/video production like Ubuntu does with the "lowlatency" kernel package!
                    Thus, Fedora is basically useless for any enjoyable user-experience...
                    Eh?

I play games in Ubuntu's stock kernel without issue. UX is fine.

Why do people care about what distros others use? With the exception of Android it's all pretty much the same, just with different package managers and sometimes different config file pathings. And you can still roll custom packages for whatever you want if your preferred distro doesn't ship a version you need or a feature you need.

Comment

Working...
                    X