Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Planning For Launch-Day Vega Open-Source & AMDGPU-PRO Support

Phoronix: AMD Planning For Launch-Day Vega Open-Source & AMDGPU-PRO Support

This shouldn't come as a surprise for any long-time Phoronix readers, but AMD is hoping to have both the fully-open driver support as well as the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver ready for Vega's launch-day later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, just wow! After what I've gone through with crappy support all the way to ATI HD5850 (maybe 5870, that was a long time ago), having to use VESA framebuffer driver... this almost makes my eyes tear up. I wish it would have come out like now, though. I'm helping a nephew build a computer and am giving him my 380x, ordered a RX 480 for myself, wish I could have ordered a Vega instead.

Comment

Where is Zen? I need to drop 500 by the end of this week and I thought Zen was gonna be out early 2017.

I was hoping to do a Polaris APU Nano ITX or even topen out at 360ish for a cpu depending on performance but how can I do that when I can't buy it.

I can't wait. Business requires I have hardware asap.

Comment

Where my zen at? scheiiiit

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Where is Zen? I need to drop 500 by the end of this week and I thought Zen was gonna be out early 2017.

I was hoping to do a Polaris APU Nano ITX or even topen out at 360ish for a cpu depending on performance but how can I do that when I can't buy it.

Zen/Ryzen is coming on 1st of March.

Comment

it does not matter whether support is in released versions. it matter whether it is in your version. if you are using standard distro repo then probably no. if you are using additional repos then they could build any version

Comment

AFIAK, Ryzen was and is still currently scheduled for Q1, which means basically sometime between now and end of March. Michael said so in the article as well.

Comment

This is great news, of course, but I can help recalling a year ago they were hoping with the retirement of fglrx they would have some support in Ubuntu 16.04. We all know how that ended.
                Still, here's hoping this time it's for real.

Comment

Hm, so from what I've gathered, Vega is going to be the enthusiast tier, a la Fury, right? In which case, when is the next mid tier going to be released?

Comment

Early march, it seems. I was expecting it late february, but it doesn't make a big difference, in the end.
                    I feel you. I desperately need to move away from my 4GB DDR2 system

Comment

Working...
                    X