Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 228 Had A Local Root Exploit

Phoronix: systemd 228 Had A Local Root Exploit

Just in case any of you are running a slightly older Linux system that is still running systemd 228, it turns out there was a local root exploit in that version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given that one of the common complaints about systemd is that it bundles too much functionality into PID 1, this makes me wonder.

Does this systemd timers thing inherently require root privileges or could it have been implemented on the un-privileged side of a browser-like privileged/sandbox split?

Comment

uahuahuah the apocalypse now!
      not only this piece of s**t contains a root exploit, but the developers tried to hide this security breach to the community!
      so much fun and thanks to all the people that included it by default in many distrib

Comment

It doesn't seem to say whether older versions are affected. CentOS 7 has 219. Debian 8 has 215.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          It doesn't seem to say whether older versions are affected. CentOS 7 has 219. Debian 8 has 215.
          The vulnerability looks to have been on systemd Git from November 2015 to January 2016.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            All texts I find, including the CVE, say it was introduced with 228 and fixed with 229. So seem like only version 228 is affected by this vulnerability. A list of distros that ever included 228 would be good to have handy now!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The vulnerability looks to have been on systemd Git from November 2015 to January 2016.
              That excludes anything older than 228 then, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post
                ...the developers tried to hide this security breach to the community!
                Systemd is the reason that I moved to Windows for the first time in my life. (I went from Amiga to Slackware back in the mid-90s and have used Linux exclusively until last year.) But, I came here to defend the systemd developers after reading the headline. I was assuming the anti-systemd crowd (of which I've been a member since its introduction) would jump all over this as a reason that systemd sucks. But, all software has bugs, and system software tends to have security-related bugs. It's not like the kernel never had any security issues...

But, this is inexcusable. I could see not understanding that the bug was an exploit if it was an off-by-one or null pointer dereference or something of that nature, but WORLD WRITABLE SUID FILES?!? This is a trivial, obvious, root exploit. How could you possibly mark that as a denial of service bug? The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want people to know they'd made a bonehead mistake. This looks extremely unprofessional, and the misleading description is far worse than the actual bug.

Comment

On GNU/kFreeBSD, syslog-ng had a similar bug. But overwriting a setuid file resulted in it losing the setuid bit, so it wasn't exploitable like this. Does GNU/Linux not do the same thing? Or is that some FreeBSD-specific secuirity feature?
                  Last edited by stevenc; 24 January 2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post

Systemd is the reason that I moved to Windows for the first time in my life.
                    This is exactly when I started to laugh so loud that I could not read more of your post...

Comment

Working...
                    X