Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Hope For Ubuntu Phone In 2017? Fed Up User Announces "Ubuntu Crickets"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Hope For Ubuntu Phone In 2017? Fed Up User Announces "Ubuntu Crickets"

Phoronix: What Do You Hope For Ubuntu Phone In 2017? Fed Up User Announces "Ubuntu Crickets"

With just a few days left to 2016 and no major announcements expected out of Canonical to end the year, what are you hoping out of Ubuntu Phone and their mobile/convergence efforts in 2017?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish they'd get their dicks out of their asses and just sell their own branded phones, tablets, computers, ect. Stop trying to depend on others (Miezu, ect) to get their product out there and just directly sell it. Do another kickstarter if they have too.

Comment

First and foremost, package management that doesn't require re-mounting the root file system, which then borks the whole system. As I understand it, snaps will if not eliminate the re-mounting requirement then at least mitigate its negative consequences.
      And then a browser that remembers passwords and a mail client that can handle GPG. Ideally I'd like a straight port of the desktop Firefox and Thunderbird (with UI changes obviously) so that I could have all the add-ons I have on desktop, but I know that's not gonna happen.

Comment

Ubantu uze Wayylannd plz

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        I wish they'd get their dicks out of their asses and just sell their own branded phones, tablets, computers, ect. Stop trying to depend on others (Miezu, ect) to get their product out there and just directly sell it. Do another kickstarter if they have too.
        They don't have the $$$ to do so, and they don't know how to use kickstarter properly (setting 32 millions as a target... #lolwtfno ), let alone being able to deal with importing random chinese crap they then rebrand and flash their own firmware on... errr I mean selling their own devices like everyone else in mobile does.

Comment

my wish is that UPhone can finally die. Better not waste more time and just join "remixos" + make this work as a "runs on phones, but if you plug in a display and a mouse its a full PC"

Comment

What do I hope for Ubuntu Phone in 2017? To switch from Mir to Wayland and from Snap to Flatpak. Also, to focus more on the desktop version of Ubuntu, because 16.04 is really bad in many ways.

Comment

My view: no open drivers by vendors -> limited kernel customization and recompilation -> no new kernel features -> user-space only changes.

Sad but true, they are not the first ones to encounter the closed driver (and firmware) issues. Android kernel + its low-level userspace in a container + libhybris shim + their own user space - nice try but limits your movements in terms of new functionality.

They are not gods after all: Cyanogenmod could not get past that problem (their deal with OnePlus was not about opening every driver out there), neither did Jolla (Sailfish OS) - they worked via libhybris as well.

Vendors are all about what a rich customer requires: if Canonical had a very large amount of crowdfunding money they could make a case for vendors to open some drivers up as a part of a huge contract. That did not happen with Edge so we have what we have.

Comment

>And then a browser that remembers passwords

Not all users want this. I would prefer it not too, personally.

>they don't know how to use kickstarter properly (setting 32 millions as a target... #lolwtfno )

Some would argue that they intended it to fail, they didn't have the phone aspect of the convergence done in 2013.

>let alone being able to deal with importing random chinese crap they then rebrand and flash their own firmware on... errr I mean selling their own devices like everyone else in mobile does.

Hey, if they make sure the drivers work well, and support it properly, who cares. People interested in an Ubu-Phone just want working devices, available in their region, at this point.

>my wish is that UPhone can finally die. Better not waste more time and just join "remixos" + make this work as a "runs on phones, but if you plug in a display and a mouse its a full PC

Nah, GNU phone > Another shitty Android clone. There are PLENTY of those.

>What do I hope for Ubuntu Phone in 2017? To switch from Mir to Wayland

Wouldn't be terrible

>and from Snap to Flatpak.

No, snap is much more mature than Flatpak. Has Flatpak finished SELinux intergration yet? Last I heard that was still in the "talking stage". I don't want a "one man effort" project that Red Hat only started to care about BECAUSE snaps where announced. Also Flatpak doesn't solve the dependency problem, it just changes where it is........

>Also, to focus more on the desktop version of Ubuntu, because 16.04 is really bad in many ways.

Bad is an opinion, not a description. How? My 16.04 machine is pretty solid (running on 2011 hardware).
                Last edited by dh04000; 28 December 2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I don't really care anymore. I "kickstartered" their original phone 'cause at the time, I needed a better phone, but that failed.

As much as I would have liked an Ubuntu phone, Android did clean up their act over the past few years. The camera in my Nexus 6P is fantastic. The free photo storage Google provides makes the whole thing super simple. My Google Play Music Subscription covers most of my music needs. Netflix and all the local TV networks have apps where you can watch old shows. Chrome Mobile is nearly on par with Desktop Chrome. Gamepad support is *fine*.

The way things ended up, I just don't need an Ubuntu phone anymore. Focus on the desktop. That's what you do best (and it needs work).

Let Ubuntu Phone die.
                  Last edited by PoVRAZOR; 28 December 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    Some would argue that they intended it to fail, they didn't have the phone aspect of the convergence done in 2013.
                    Some would also argue that it was just to pave the way for their masters at MS. (hint: Continuum, Windows 10 on all devices)

Hey, if they make sure the drivers work well, and support it properly, who cares. People interested in an Ubu-Phone just want working devices, available in their region, at this point.
                    Drivers in mobile/embedded are blobs coming from SoC manufacturer, kernel is locked to specific hacked version in SDK of SoC manufacturer. A chinese tablet with Intel x86 Atoms is vastly better.

People interested in UPhone might want to not settle for something that manages to be equal or worse than Android in all respects.

Comment

Working...
                    X