System76 Has Been Collaborating With NVIDIA Over Linux Driver Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Has Been Collaborating With NVIDIA Over Linux Driver Fixes

Phoronix: System76 Has Been Collaborating With NVIDIA Over Linux Driver Fixes

For helping not only their Ubuntu laptop customers but all NVIDIA Linux users, System76 has recently been working with the green GPU firm over getting more fixes into their proprietary driver...

Collaborating in the sense of paying?

Comment

They can do whatever they want...
      When it comes to laptops I will never buy again a laptop with a nvidia GPU

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        They can do whatever they want...
        When it comes to laptops I will never buy again a laptop with a nvidia GPU
        I will never buy any computer with a nvidia GPU until either nouveau becomes at least as good as the open source AMD driver, or the proprietary driver gets rid of its kernel blob and fits cleanly in the stack instead of reimplementing half of it.

Comment

They should collaborate with the Nouveau-Team to enhance the open driver instead of the proprietary one!

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
            They should collaborate with the Nouveau-Team to enhance the open driver instead of the proprietary one!
            Since they did the wrong choice (using Nvidia) then they did the only viable option: fixing the proprietary driver. A sane choice would have been chosing AMD instead.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
              System76 are right to be collaborating with Nvidia; the only company to create good graphics drivers. Regardless of effort, Nouveau will never be able to work as well as a native driver. It's time to let ideology go and be pragmatic.

Comment

They are a direct customer of NVIDIA, they should fix bugs raised by them. The end user is not a, direct, customer of NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Since they did the wrong choice (using Nvidia) then they did the only viable option: fixing the proprietary driver. A sane choice would have been chosing AMD instead.
                  This all depends on what is the ultimate goal. AMD is ok for customer/domestic usage. OpenCL is not bad either. Nvidia is great for Games, heavy image processing as well as computing based on CUDA and to some extent on OpenCL. For instance, if you want to develop code that will be hence run on HPC facility, then NVIDIA is a better choice, no doubt on that point.

What I found annoying with System76 laptop, is there very low batterie life. I used to own a small one 13" or something, with an Intel GPU and it was 2hours while browsing the web. Insane! I get rid of it since.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    System76 is just rebranding Clevo laptops (or of another large OEM, Clevo does stuff that gets sold by Dell and HP, among others), they don't make their designs, afaik there is no large OEM making laptops for small OEMs with AMD parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X