Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 4.9 Kernel Is Around 22.3 Million Lines

Phoronix: The Linux 4.9 Kernel Is Around 22.3 Million Lines

Earlier today while waiting for the Linux 4.9 release, I ran some fresh gitstats on the latest Linux kernel Git tree to see the latest numbers on the kernel for those interested in some analytics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Report Period
    1969-12-31 19:00:01 to 2037-04-25 04:08:26

Comment

Yeah, I really love how Torvalds became active in 2033

Comment

Exclude stuff like the non-core files, comments, whitespace, and anything that is hardware-specific (beyond the essentials, ie, audio drivers) and I wonder how much smaller it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Exclude ... anything that is hardware-specific.
          You wouldn’t have anything left. By definition, a kernel is hardware-specific. Dealing with the hardware is its job.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
            You wouldn’t have anything left. By definition, a kernel is hardware-specific. Dealing with the hardware is its job.
            Actually, hardware activities are the secondary job of the kernel:
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system)
            Anyway, I suppose I did a poor job explaining. I was referring to code specific to a particular chipset or device. For example, if everything network related was kept except the drivers for each individual device.

Comment

Working...
            X