Fedora 25 Turned Out Great, Definitely My Most Favorite Fedora Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Turned Out Great, Definitely My Most Favorite Fedora Release

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Turned Out Great, Definitely My Most Favorite Fedora Release

While I generally wait until a few days/weeks past a Fedora release to upgrade, this past weekend I already switched my main production system over to Fedora 25 ahead of tomorrow's release. That's the first time I've been so ambitious with a Fedora release, but in testing it over the past few weeks (and months) on a multitude of test systems, the quality has been excellent and by far is most favorite release going back to the Fedora Core days -- and there's Wayland by default too, as just the icing on the cake.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is going to be such a fantastic release today !

Michael Larabel I too was a little disappointed mesa 13 isn't in this release as it has a bunch of my work also in there. Actually what is holding it all up now is pocl hasn't been released yet with LLVM 3.9 support. So bumping LLVM breaks that package and hence blocks mesa from getting bumped also.

Comment

For me Fedora25 is a black screen after few seconds with a Maxwell GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
        nvidia sucks

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
          are you using the binary driver or the nouveau package?

Comment

are you using the binary driver or the nouveau package?.....

I have a i7-4770K and a GTX970. Just few seconds after I start the "try or install" of the installer the monitor turn off. I manage to install the distro enabling the integrate GPU and removing all the monitors from the nVidia GPU and plug just one on the integrated GPU.
            I will try to install the binary NVIDIA driver and disable again the Intel.

Comment

Just as an additional data point: I -upgraded- two F24 systems to F25 last week with positive results, no issues to report following the upgrade except one minor nitpick: it seems that Nautilus changed their icon name, because Nautilus' icon is stuck as the default gnome icon, despite me having the Numix theme applied. All other apps seem to use the Numix icon, and Nautilus DID use the Numix icon until the upgrade.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I'm back on Fedora now (F25) as well and I'm enjoying it. I was content with Solus for a while, but I didn't really like their NV driver nor Wine being outdated, and apparently they're switching from Wine Staging to regular Wine for some reason (I need CSMT).

One issue I had with F25 is trying to enable TRIM for my SSD when using full-disk encryption. I couldn't get it enabled in a way that allowed me to verify it worked. I eventually just dropped FDE, but I'll have to re-visit this in the future.

As for the NVIDIA black screen issues, apparently some newer Maxwell cards (GTX 965+) need to boot with nomodeset if I heard correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
                  This is going to be such a fantastic release today !

Michael Larabel I too was a little disappointed mesa 13 isn't in this release as it has a bunch of my work also in there. Actually what is holding it all up now is pocl hasn't been released yet with LLVM 3.9 support. So bumping LLVM breaks that package and hence blocks mesa from getting bumped also.
                  Well actually, Mesa 13 should be build-able with LLVM 3.8, so I would think the blocking is likely due to the feature freeze or a focus on the latest XOrg and Wayland, not LLVM 3.9.

I doubt they would do a recompile for LLVM 3.9 after release, but who knows, it may happen.

Rawhide has already upgraded to Mesa 13 and LLVM 3.9, so F26 is a definite go.

Comment

How much SELinux troubles does one run into these days? Or does everyone here disable SELinux the first thing they do.. ? :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X