Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9 Has Tear-Free PRIME Offloading Between Intel & AMDGPU

Phoronix: Linux 4.9 Has Tear-Free PRIME Offloading Between Intel & AMDGPU

Quietly landing last week into the mainline Linux kernel as part of the AMDGPU fixes is support for tear-free PRIME offloading between Intel and AMDGPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is tear free on nvidia to intel done as well?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Is tear free on nvidia to intel done as well?
      I would like to know that, specially with proprietary drivers. I wonder if bumblebee-like features could get integrated

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I would like to know that, specially with proprietary drivers.
        they don't support prime so they can't support tear-free prime

Comment

because nvidia ships windows drivers on linux

Comment

Funny, as far as I'm aware, PRIME is a play on Nvidia's Optimus technology (as is Bumblebee) but Nvidia isn't compatible with it.
            Meanwhile, AMD created Enduro (which does the same thing) but went completely ignored.

Comment

Only left to find good laptop with hq i7, Polaris GPU and good screen, keyboard and touchpad. For now only MacBook Pro has that but lacks on memory and it is crApple.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Funny, as far as I'm aware, PRIME is a play on Nvidia's Optimus technology (as is Bumblebee) but Nvidia isn't compatible with it.
                Meanwhile, AMD created Enduro (which does the same thing) but went completely ignored.
                Probably because AMD's Enduro worked only on proprietary driver that sucked, and because post 2013 it's hard to find a laptop with an AMD GPU at all (apart from totally retarded setups like a high-end APU with crippled GPU + crippled dedicated AMD GPU, from lenovo).

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                  Only left to find good laptop with hq i7, Polaris GPU and good screen, keyboard and touchpad. For now only MacBook Pro has that but lacks on memory and it is crApple.
                  Also Alienware http://www.pcworld.com/article/31157...ile-debut.html

Gotta love this new "let's put desktop GPUs in laptops" trend, bulky laptops aren't yet dead.

Comment

unapproved post for gnufreex above

Comment

Working...
                    X