Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.20 "Shrimp & Grits" Open For Development

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20 "Shrimp & Grits" Open For Development

Earlier this week was the X.Org Server 1.19 release as a major update with development going on for one year. Now, X.Org Server 1.20 development is open...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While X is going to be important for years to come, I do hope that the improvements are aimed at making XWayland better.

With less and less importance being place on X for being "The Display Server" for everything (and more on just for one app at a time) I hope that they can slim down the X server and thus make it more secure. Maybe even a "XWayland Only Build" that can only be run via Wayland with lots of superfluous stuff being removed (making it even more secure via less attach surface area)

Comment

Complete, integrated,, configurable and very flexible OPTIMUS support. 100% ready

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Complete, integrated,, configurable and very flexible OPTIMUS support. 100% ready
        PRIME already works quite well with the open DDX drivers, just waiting on Nvidia there I imagine.

Comment

I would like to see tons of code removal.
          I would like to see DRI1 and DRI2 removed. I would to see legacy graphics and input stacks removed, so there is only one graphics architecture model and one input stack.

I think as much as possible should be stripped out. To make it easier to maintain, a smaller attack surface, easier to audit, and be more minimalist, faster, leaner, cleaner.
          Strip out legacy modules.
          Maybe have some special build with only DRI3, Present, GLAMOR and xf86-video-modesetting.

Comment

I hope it's the last one.

Comment

Remove what no one uses, improve what is used and implement what is missing

Comment

You can already disable dri1 and dri2 and plenty of other extensions with configure options.
                Note that nouveau is more stable with dri2 than dri3.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
                  Note that nouveau is more stable with dri2 than dri3.
                  radeon is also more stable with dri2, but devs decided to enable it by default regardless

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I would like to see tons of code removal.
                    I would like to see DRI1 and DRI2 removed. I would to see legacy graphics and input stacks removed, so there is only one graphics architecture model and one input stack.

I think as much as possible should be stripped out. To make it easier to maintain, a smaller attack surface, easier to audit, and be more minimalist, faster, leaner, cleaner.
                    Strip out legacy modules.
                    Maybe have some special build with only DRI3, Present, GLAMOR and xf86-video-modesetting.
                    You have no fucking idea of what you are talking about, please stop advocating this bullshit.

Most legacy modules aren't touched in years so there is no real reason to drop them for lulz and piss off the few guys needing them, the modular architecture means the attack surface depends from what is loaded (and what is loaded depends from what you have in the system) so stripping stuff for lulz has no effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X