Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 26 Anaconda Installer Likely To Get Blivet-GUI

Phoronix: Fedora 26 Anaconda Installer Likely To Get Blivet-GUI

The Anaconda installer is never done evolving... The Anaconda installer will be updated, again, with Fedora 26 but hopefully won't see the major fallout during one of its earlier reworks when it was in very bad shape. This time around they are just looking to add Blivet-GUI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny thing about anaconda... before their last "major" overhaul, storage configuration WAS bottom up. Worked a HELL of a lot better. Glad to hear they are fixing this FINALLY!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Funny thing about anaconda... before their last "major" overhaul, storage configuration WAS bottom up. Worked a HELL of a lot better. Glad to hear they are fixing this FINALLY!
      Better is relative.

For me, Anaconda's top down approach works very well, I love that I can point it at two disks and its a two button click to turn those two disks into a raid 1 array with encryption (with it quietly handling whether that should be encryption->raid1->FS, or raid1->encryption->FS).

Now, if you have a complicated or very unique setup, then yes, the bottom up approach is a lot nicer to work with.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The Anaconda installer is never done evolving...
        Backwards...

At least they have a unique touch interface for a desktop workstation OS. Stuff like choosing grub install location or proper raid support? Who needs that bullshit?

Comment

Anaconda used to be bad. Now it's pathetic.

Comment

maybe they will make it usable in a future update. Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              *SNIP*
              At least they have a unique touch interface for a desktop workstation OS.
              *SNIP*
              They do?!!! Where can I try this?
              I've a yoga 2, so I can turn it into a sort-of tablet by folding back the keyboard, so having a touch interface for the desktop would be useful.
              Unfortunately my current de, gnome, isn't well suited for this paradigm as it relies on finer control than you can, easily, achieve with your fingers, doesn't support much in the way of gestures, doesn't tile easily, uses too much chrome, etc.

Comment

I can only hope this version is more useful than fdisk from a command line.

Comment

I don't do anything more complicated than install on two Ext4 drives. After I select those drives, there is an active link at the bottom left of Anaconda's display: "2 storage devices selected". Clicking that allows me to verify or change the drive where the bootloader will be installed. But, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
                    Anaconda used to be bad. Now it's pathetic.
                    To be honest as good as old Anaconda was, it was very brittle. One of the bigger things with the Anaconda rewrite was that it was a more modular system to go with it.

And I will be blunt, the hub style installer is much better than what we had previously. With it, any dangerous, system bricking tasks are done after all the system configurations (like the system positioning), so there is a lot less headache to it. Bad system positioning setup, as long as you have yet to press the install button, it's not done so it can be fix.
                    Granted, positioning ui in the rewrite was always a pain, but it was more or less a placeholder for something better to come long. And there is something of a adjustment to it the interface, but once you get over that... I have had installs take less than 5 minutes of setup and 25 minutes or less to install with Fedora.
                    It's nice to have less need for tea when I do these things from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                    X