Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALLVM: Forthcoming Project to Ship All Software As LLVM IR

Phoronix: ALLVM: Forthcoming Project to Ship All Software As LLVM IR

Interest is growing around shipping software as LLVM IR and will be discussed at this year's LLVM Developers' Meeting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome we have InfraRed computers now. How much faster is it than electronics?

Comment

IR stands for Intermediate Representation, not InfraRed

Comment

This is a pretty cool idea. Write in any language you want and let the end user choose if they want to compile it, interpret it or interpret it with with a JIT compiler.

EDIT: Architecture independence is also a pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
          IR stands for Intermediate Representation, not InfraRed
          That was sarcasm.

Comment

This project has "we are the new java bytecode" written on it's forehead.

Comment

I am not convinced. How is ti an improvement if compiling and linking happens on everyone's machines instead of one developer machine? I see it as mostly wasted electricity. The only thing that could be great is deploying multiplatform software with single executable, but it would require some clever engineering to handle all that platform-dependent mess so it is in no way easy.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
                I am not convinced. How is ti an improvement if compiling and linking happens on everyone's machines instead of one developer machine? I see it as mostly wasted electricity. The only thing that could be great is deploying multiplatform software with single executable, but it would require some clever engineering to handle all that platform-dependent mess so it is in no way easy.
                Because you can do link-time-optimizations. Meaning you optimize natively to your microcode.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
                  The concept behind the idea is nothing new - Java, MSIL, etc. but using LLVM's IR, you can use any language you want, you're not constrained to Java, C# or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post
                    This project has "we are the new java bytecode" written on it's forehead.
                    Kind-of but kind-of not.

Comment

Working...
                    X