Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Beta Will Be Released Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Beta Will Be Released Next Week

The beta of Fedora 25 will be released on-time next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Blimey - so bar a natural disaster, Wayland is almost certainly going to be the default?

Comment

Originally posted by dcrdev View Post
      Blimey - so bar a natural disaster, Wayland is almost certainly going to be the default?
      no, it is not part of f25 changeset

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        no, it is not part of f25 changeset
        Odd, the plan was a go 6 weeks ago:

IIRC, FESCo should have made a decision prior to the Beta release date decision, but I guess not?

EDIT: The FESCo ticket if anyone's interested:

I'm assuming this is still a go, as there was no decision against it before this Go/No-Go meeting.
        Last edited by Mystro256; 06 October 2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I dunno what happened to the Change process, but yeah, Wayland is the default for Fedora Workstation in F25 Beta, and barring any crazy showstoppers we didn't know about showing up between now and Final, is likely to be the default for Final too.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            I dunno what happened to the Change process, but yeah, Wayland is the default for Fedora Workstation in F25 Beta, and barring any crazy showstoppers we didn't know about showing up between now and Final, is likely to be the default for Final too.
            It looks like Wayland by Default is missing on F25 Change Set

Comment

Wayland is working pretty well for me on F25.

There's something seriously wrong with gnome-shell as a Wayland compositor from a performance standpoint although it isn't a show stopper. After opening a bunch of windows the frame rate starts to drop into the 20s. This is about 15 windows on dual 4K screens, so this is a pretty big pile of pixels but still.

And yeah it is definitely gnome-shell because Weston doesn't do the same thing and neither does X.org.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Fedora 25 Beta Will Be Released Next Week
                You don't use the word "will" in context of Fedora, LOL.

Tomorrow's article: "Fedora 25 delayed for another 2 weeks".

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                  Wayland is working pretty well for me on F25.

There's something seriously wrong with gnome-shell as a Wayland compositor from a performance standpoint although it isn't a show stopper. After opening a bunch of windows the frame rate starts to drop into the 20s. This is about 15 windows on dual 4K screens, so this is a pretty big pile of pixels but still.

And yeah it is definitely gnome-shell because Weston doesn't do the same thing and neither does X.org.
                  Did you report this?

Comment

I'm testing this alpha-almost-beta release, am I the only that every time I come back from a virtual terminal to the graphical/wayland one it's stuck and then shows the login screen forcing to re-login? And when re-logged every program is closed.. not just like a screen lock (I'm not switching back to alt-ctrl-F1 which for some reason always has gdm but to the proper alt-ctrl-F2). Sorry for poor language!

Comment

Working...
                    X