Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 42.2 Beta 3 Ships With KDE Plasma 5.8

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 42.2 Beta 3 Ships With KDE Plasma 5.8

Just one day after KDE Plasma 5.8 LTS was released, openSUSE Leap 42.2 Beta 3 is shipping and uses this new KDE desktop update by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it work with (cutom) RX480 + i5 6500 yet?
    Beta 2 segfaulted during booting, and instller worked with llvmpipe

Comment

I tried the beta2 with a rx480 (i5 3??? don't remember the cpu code). It booted and installed fine for me. But, the 4.4.21 kernel and the MESA 11.0.8 only gave me a 1024x768 resolution on my FHD screen and 3D didn't work because the old kernel doesn't know Polaris.

Comment

przemoli You may file a bug report

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Does it work with (cutom) RX480 + i5 6500 yet?
          Beta 2 segfaulted during booting, and instller worked with llvmpipe
          test it, test it, test it... and report bugs!
          you see, something doesnt work for you but other people say that was just fine for them... so try to do it yourself and do report any problem you encounter, please!

Comment

There's a reason it doesn't work. I'm running an RX480 + i5 6500 on tumbleweed because Leap 42.2 won't work. It's because Polaris support(RX480/470/460) only landed in kernel 4.7. OpenSUSE want to use LTS kernels so they're sticking with 4.4.x . If you want support for your RX 480, you need to add separate repositories that provide a newer kernel and mesa drivers. I don't recommend this though, just use tumbleweed. I've switched to tumbleweed ago and it's completely fine. You just need packman for proper h.264 support.

Comment

Working...
            X