Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.19 Release Candidate 1

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.19 Release Candidate 1

The first release candidate of the X.Org Server 1.19 is now available along with some last-minute API/ABI breaks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what are the plans for X.Org Server 1.20 and what plans are in the future?

Will there be any new full X.Org stack release? Is 7.8 ever coming? When?

What stuff new stuff is planned?
    What stuff is to be removed?

Any new drivers being ported to DRI3? Which drivers are DRI3 so far?
    Does DRI1 still exist?
    Will DRI2 be dropped?

Will there be RandR 1.6?
    How is this multithreaded input thing coming along, when is it getting mainlined?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      No. 7.7 was last xorg katamari. From memory, it was posted on their list shortly after 7.7 was released that there will be no more katamari releases.

How is this multithreaded input thing coming along, when is it getting mainlined?
      I think it was amainlined for 1.19. Michael reported something about input was mainlined recently.

Comment

So what are the plans for X.Org Server 1.20 and what plans are in the future?

What stuff new stuff is planned?
        What stuff is to be removed?

Any new drivers being ported to DRI3? Which drivers are DRI3 so far?
        Does DRI1 still exist?
        Will DRI2 be dropped?

Will there be RandR 1.6?

x 1.20 probaly will exist at least for unix distros the rest

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
          No. 7.7 was last xorg katamari. From memory, it was posted on their list shortly after 7.7 was released that there will be no more katamari releases.

I think it was amainlined for 1.19. Michael reported something about input was mainlined recently.
          Multithreaded support landed months ago now. Been using the git version since then.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            x 1.20 probaly will exist at least for unix distros the rest
            I assume you wanted to say the rest will migrate to wayland.

Comment

I like to think that Xorg (not just server) will be maintained as long as there are people using them (and as long as keithp is around), and that covers lot of !Linux UNIX/UNIX Like systems (BSDs, OSX, etc) and Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                I like to think that Xorg (not just server) will be maintained as long as there are people using them (and as long as keithp is around), and that covers lot of !Linux UNIX/UNIX Like systems (BSDs, OSX, etc) and Windows.
                OSX and windows? Ok that they are supported but... do they actually have any significant userbase? I'm curious to know what they xorg is used for in there.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  OSX and windows? Ok that they are supported but... do they actually have any significant userbase? I'm curious to know what they xorg is used for in there.
                  Well apple outright steals the Mesa driver for their os so i wouldnt be surprised about xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    For running X11 apps on the respective systems. There has been a lot of work on XQuartz and XWin lately (the XWin got windows dri support recently).

Comment

Working...
                    X