Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 54 Beta Brings Custom Elements V1: Create Custom HTML Tags

Phoronix: Chrome 54 Beta Brings Custom Elements V1: Create Custom HTML Tags

Google today is rolling out the Chromium/Chrome 54 web-browser beta, which incorporates several new features for web developers plus media platform improvements for Chrome on Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also for developers in Chrome 54 is the BroadcastChannel API as a one-to-many messaging interface for allowing web applications to communicate between windows/tabs/WebWorkers/ServiceWorkers running in the same browser session.
    What's this? Is a developer-only feature? Is that something secure? :P

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What's this? Is a developer-only feature? Is that something secure? :P
      It's not a developer-only feature. It just lets you broadcast a message to a named channel. Anything listening on that channel can process the message. Anything not listening on that channel will not receive it. I believe the standard same-origin policy applies as with XHR.

Comment

I wish we had Web Components already
        But no, once again Microsoft won't implement anything until the standard is set in stone (and Mozilla doesn't have the resources to do it).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I wish we had Web Components already
          But no, once again Microsoft won't implement anything until the standard is set in stone (and Mozilla doesn't have the resources to do it).
          I was under the impression that it's more of a situation where Google just decided on its own that it should be in the standard, and even Mozilla wanted to wait for a better solution.

Chrome, the new IE.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

I was under the impression that it's more of a situation where Google just decided on its own that it should be in the standard, and even Mozilla wanted to wait for a better solution.

Chrome, the new IE.
            Well, of course someone had to take the first step. But Google is also pushing for a W3C standardization. And the whole thing is really, really good. It's literally about you developing your own custom HTML tags and doing it entirely in HTML and JS. It doesn't get any easier than that.
            Mozilla's (official) justification for not implementing Web Components has something to do with HTML Imports, which they say may be rendered obsolete by some upcoming JS version.

Fun fact: web components work fine in Firefox using a shim, but they break the moment you explicitly enable support for them.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Fun fact: web components work fine in Firefox using a shim, but they break the moment you explicitly enable support for them.

Yeah, if I recall correctly Google Inbox uses Polymer which has said shim. Unfortunately it's extremely slow in Firefox. (But I've since moved back to thunderbird, so meh)

Comment

Working...
              X