Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TigerVNC 1.7 Released

Phoronix: TigerVNC 1.7 Released

TigerVNC 1.7 was released today as the newest version of this open-source, high-performance, cross-platform VNC implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

TigerVNC is the best VNC client I have found (it solved several issues I had with TightVNC). Unfortunately I have to use x11vnc on the server side because TigerVNC requires Xorg 1.18, which isn’t "stable" yet on Gentoo, and I think it makes the whole experience very sluggish even though VNC is not limited by the (local) network or the CPU.

Comment

Dammit Michael. You could at least let us finish the builds and do a proper announcement before you jump the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        TigerVNC is the best VNC client I have found (it solved several issues I had with TightVNC). Unfortunately I have to use x11vnc on the server side because TigerVNC requires Xorg 1.18, which isn’t "stable" yet on Gentoo, and I think it makes the whole experience very sluggish even though VNC is not limited by the (local) network or the CPU.
        We do not require Xorg 1.18. We're still on 1.14 here at Cendio, and even 1.7 should work.

Comment

Originally posted by CendioOssman View Post

We do not require Xorg 1.18. We're still on 1.14 here at Cendio, and even 1.7 should work.
          Interesting. When I try to install tigervnc 1.6.0, emerge wants to pull xorg 1.18…

Comment

But does it work with Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
              Interesting. When I try to install tigervnc 1.6.0, emerge wants to pull xorg 1.18…
              There's an XSERVER_VERSION variable at the top of the ebuild. Just change that to whatever X version you want. Note that you might also need to adjust which patch gets applied, in particular this line:
              Code:
              eapply ../xserver117.patch
              xserver117.patch covers both 1.17 and 1.18, adjust as necessary for older versions (for example, xserver116.patch for version 1.16)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Well... https://github.com/TigerVNC/tigervnc/issues/158

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Since 99% of other software doesn't, there seems little point in a display streamer supporting it at this stage!

I guess it is a also a shame that the Wayland protocol is a little naive and isn't network aware like trusty X11

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    There's an XSERVER_VERSION variable at the top of the ebuild. Just change that to whatever X version you want. Note that you might also need to adjust which patch gets applied, in particular this line:
                    Code:
                    eapply ../xserver117.patch
                    xserver117.patch covers both 1.17 and 1.18, adjust as necessary for older versions (for example, xserver116.patch for version 1.16)
                    Thanks for the suggestion. I managed to install it.

Comment

Working...
                    X