Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Returns To Updating NPAPI/Linux Flash Player

Phoronix: Adobe Returns To Updating NPAPI/Linux Flash Player

Adobe stopped updating its NPAPI-based Linux Flash Player four years ago and planned to stop supporting it entirely in 2017, but now the company has backtracked on those steps with a commitment to regularly update their NPAPI and PPAPI versions of the Flash Player for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When we needed it there were no updates. When noone cares any more they start updating it. Some really smart people are there at Adobe.

Comment

Good, now we can get our dose of "Flashy" ads again - just what we needed
      Thankfully the world has moved on...

Comment

Fuck you Adobe.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          Good, now we can get our dose of "Flashy" ads again - just what we needed
          Thankfully the world has moved on...
          FlashBlock has been around for ages. The number of Flash ads is constantly dwindling. So things are looking better regardless of whether Adobe cares about Linux or not. Yet there are some things (e.g. games) that actually need Flash. So I'm ok with it getting some love.

Comment

Great news. Obviously this thread is going to be a circlejerk about everything bad about Flash, fair enough - its a piece of shit. Still while some sites use it (often the sites you have the least choice about using) having a supported version of flash for Firefox can only be a good thing. Its not like Flash support for Linux is suddenly going to stop the nosedive of the technology.

Comment

Flash to Adobe: Don't kill me, I am too young to die!

This is how to make Linux community angry.

Comment

A real great new would be the DRM videos at last supported. Even if I hate the system it is widely used, and remains the last thing that still put average users away from Linux on the internet side.

Comment

Please let flash rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    A real great new would be the DRM videos at last supported. Even if I hate the system it is widely used, and remains the last thing that still put average users away from Linux on the internet side.
                    Oh God, please no. While I appreciate the security updates, it changes the status of flash from "basically dead" to "somewhat supported".

The last thing I want to see is new developers/projects jumping on flash because "it basically works". Someone unfortunately has to take the blame first and stop supporting it altogether. The more people, the better. Mozilla and Google are slowly getting there, so please don't try to revive this 22.0021.56985-headed monster.

I will take flash's immediate death over Linux adoption rate any day. The former will come along later as a fallout of the former anyway, at least for the people you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                    X