Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gets Another OpenGL 4.5 Extension: ARB_cull_distance

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gets Another OpenGL 4.5 Extension: ARB_cull_distance

The RadeonSI Gallium3D driver continues stepping ever so closely to OpenGL 4.4 and 4.5 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is good, but AMD really should get themselves up to 4.5 and deprecate Catalyst OpenGL. Having multiple driver options isn't doing anyone any good.

Even if Catalyst is 10% faster, legacy OpenGL games can be fixed with faster hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      This is good, but AMD really should get themselves up to 4.5 and deprecate Catalyst OpenGL. Having multiple driver options isn't doing anyone any good.

Even if Catalyst is 10% faster, legacy OpenGL games can be fixed with faster hardware...
      As has been said many times before, AMD will not be deprecating Catalyst/GPU-PRO due to workstation customers, the OpenGL compatibility profile, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't know how many games make use of it, but at least for me, implementing GL_ARB_bindless_texture is more urgent than the remaining 4.4 and 4.5 extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
          I don't know how many games make use of it, but at least for me, implementing GL_ARB_bindless_texture is more urgent than the remaining 4.4 and 4.5 extensions.
          Well the good news is that Dave Airlie is working on it and he seems to take a liking to the radeonsi driver. He also seems to work at a brisk pace, so it shouldn't be too far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
            Well the good news is that Dave Airlie is working on it and he seems to take a liking to the radeonsi driver. He also seems to work at a brisk pace, so it shouldn't be too far away.
            Well, he commented on GL_ARB_bindless_texture on the mailing list:

"not sure I'll ever finish it" doesn't sound too optimistic.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why exactly did this take so long to release compared to all the other drivers? I don't really mind all that much, since I don't think I have any games that utilize this, but it just seems a little odd to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post

Well, he commented on GL_ARB_bindless_texture on the mailing list:

"not sure I'll ever finish it" doesn't sound too optimistic.
                Oh wow, I did not see that. At least his source is available if someone wants to pick it up. #blindOptimismHere

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Out of curiosity, why exactly did this take so long to release compared to all the other drivers? I don't really mind all that much, since I don't think I have any games that utilize this, but it just seems a little odd to me.
                  Priorities AFAIK. General consensus was that now GL support had caught up to game requirements the top priority was improving performance, so that's what the devs have been focusing on.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Priorities AFAIK. General consensus was that now GL support had caught up to game requirements the top priority was improving performance, so that's what the devs have been focusing on.
                    Haha I like the sound of that! As stated before, I don't know of anything I use that demands GL 4.5, so I readily welcome performance improvements. The only thing that makes me a little skeptical is where do you draw the line? Just about anything this advanced can be optimized indefinitely. There are also other features to consider, like Crossfire, Freesync, and more work on OpenCL. Like I said, I'm not against performance improvements. I'm honestly not sure what's more important - being feature-complete or competitive performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X