There Is Talk Of Resuming OpenChrome VIA KMS/DRM Driver Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Is Talk Of Resuming OpenChrome VIA KMS/DRM Driver Development

Phoronix: There Is Talk Of Resuming OpenChrome VIA KMS/DRM Driver Development

Two or so years back or so it was looking hopeful that the mainline Linux kernel would finally have a proper VIA DRM/KMS driver for the unfortunate ones still have VIA x86 hardware and using the integrated graphics. However, that work was ultimately abandoned but there is talk of it being restored...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Obligatory "kill that VIA hardware with fire" remark.

Also I like the "Who Knows" tag:

6 Minutes Ago - Hardware - Who Knows - Add A Comment

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Obligatory "kill that VIA hardware with fire" remark.

Also I like the "Who Knows" tag:

6 Minutes Ago - Hardware - Who Knows - Add A Comment
      Kill with fire because it's Via?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        Kill with fire because it's Via?
        No, because it is old and not on sale anymore, it was crappy even when new (on windows, with official driver), and because Via is pretty much dead now.

XGI, SiS, Matrox are in the "kill with fire" list too, for the same reasons (Matrox is using AMD chips in their newer cards, those are excluded for obvious reasons)

Comment

And for "crappy" I include also the chipset. Via chipsets (and SiS ones) tended to be less stable and have more stupid issues, this at the BIOS level, i.e. I had to try various random configs in BIOS too many times on too many boards to get things to work.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            No, because it is old and not on sale anymore, it was crappy even when new (on windows, with official driver), and because Via is pretty much dead now.

XGI, SiS, Matrox are in the "kill with fire" list too, for the same reasons (Matrox is using AMD chips in their newer cards, those are excluded for obvious reasons)
            Honestly if someone wants to maintain the code let them... I mean as long as it doesn't inhibit the progression of the rest of the kernel.

At least Kevin is being reasonable and understands the only way moving forward without being tossed in legacy would be to restart drm/kms development.

Comment

They could invest time to modernize the bios in the several motherboards which uses their chipset See 4coredual-sata2 as example. As I said I bought several sata2 and usb 3.0 cards whom chips are stated to be pcie 1.0a compliant although they don't run over pt880 pcie express slot.

However welcome to any efforts to improve linux kernel on these systems.

Via produced vt8251 sata2 AHCI southbridge ever implemented if not in rare cases in very poor way (see asus). If they match pt880 with vt8251 on the major of motherboards realized between 2005 and 2007 they could compete in the market. Another mistake was to spread a chipset as pt880 which supported on 4x pci-express bus making it substantially useless. The lonely good thing is the possibility to use a pcie auidio card or physx card over some motherboards matching them with agp vga. I own 3 motherboards with pt880 chipset 2 4coredual-sata2 and a jetway pt880pro able to make their job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                Honestly if someone wants to maintain the code let them...
                No. I disapprove the continued existence of current generations of Via x86 PC hardware, so I'm also disapproving anyone that does develop driver for them.

Of course I cannot do more than just disapprove loudly, but that's a right you cannot take away from me (wraps the coat and goes away walking straight while fanfare sounds).

At least Kevin is being reasonable and understands the only way moving forward without being tossed in legacy would be to restart drm/kms development.
                That guy also posted some nonsense about hardware consumerism or whatever to justify the continued existence of complete shit hardware that should have died together with floppies.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  They could
                  There is no "they". This guy is a volunteer, not a Via employee. Via quit linux development long ago.

invest time to modernize the bios in the several motherboards
                  This complaint has to be directed to board manufacturers, not to Via. BIOS is made by board manufacturers, not Via.

And as I said in another thread, it makes no sense for them to waste money on trying to fix weird hardware issues when for a few $$ everyone still affected could simply buy another board.

Comment

Mystro256 see? another example on why that hardware must die off already.
                    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    Via produced vt8251 sata2 AHCI southbridge ever implemented if not in rare cases in very poor way (see asus). If they match pt880 with vt8251 on the major of motherboards realized between 2005 and 2007 they could compete in the market. Another mistake was to spread a chipset as pt880 which supported on 4x pci-express bus making it substantially useless. The lonely good thing is the possibility to use a pcie auidio card or physx card over some motherboards matching them with agp vga. I own 3 motherboards with pt880 chipset 2 4coredual-sata2 and a jetway pt880pro able to make their job.

Comment

Working...
                    X