Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Turns 25 Years Old

Phoronix: Linux Turns 25 Years Old

25 years ago to the day Linus Torvalds announced the creation of his kernel that would become Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This was supposed to be the year of Linux desktop, oh well.
    2025 isn't that bad either, just 9 years more.

Comment

My favourite moment is when open source was fully accepted as a good idea, not just by developers but by business as well.
      I think the Linux Kernel has had a decently sized part to play with that

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
        What exactly is this "Year of the Linux Desktop"?

You see for me the year of the Linux Desktop was 2014, since then I've converted about 10 people & PCs to Linux.

If the Year of the Linux Desktop is having a usable Desktop with usable apps and commercial apps, etc... I would say that already happened.

The Year of the Linux tablet has already come on some level as Android is 66% of the market presently.

We have 25% of Windows games on Linux. Do we have any definition of this "Year of the Linux Desktop" -- like what is it and what defines it.

To me the Year of the Linux Desktop already happened, we are now in the Age of the Linux Desktop from my perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
          It's never be and only stupid Windows users writes posts like this. Linux desktop is better for an years, all Windows visual features are stolen from KDE for an years. Not only this, NTFS is the weakest and incompetent FS on earth. I never use Windows even for money, C/C++ Linux developer here.

Comment

I'll pick a very personal moment: the moment I first installed it on my laptop (had used Linux before a few times). It's GPU was broken so windows didn't work on it anymore. Ubuntu did and I'm still using the laptop without any problems.

Comment

Still cannot break the 2% barrier. Not if anyone cares, anyway. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                This are bullshits.

Comment

My favorite moment was seeing Linux systems replace Windows systems at work for custom hardware we made. We were much happier with the results after using Linux. Nearly everyone I worked with in particle physics used Linux (Fermilab and CERN) both in operation and for everyday use.

What I would like to see in the next five years is VR come to Linux. The only reason I run windows as my default desktop is that I use an Oculus Rift nearly everyday since VR is so awesome.

Linux has come so far particularly when it comes to CPUs but there is recent trend that I'm not happy with. It seems hardware is becoming more closed. Intel's x86 cores have not advanced nearly as much as their somewhat closed IGPs, Nvidia requires signed firmware, Intel and AMD have management engines which run their own closed OSs. So I guess my main wish is less about Linux and more about hardware being more open. If the hardware is more open Linux will be more successful.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Poor guy that had to write all this. Must have lost he's mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X