Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes More Open-Source FreeSync Code

Phoronix: AMD Publishes More Open-Source FreeSync Code

AMD published a patch this week for prepping its X.Org driver for supporting FreeSync...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good work from Team Red. Hopefully DAL will soon meet the desired criteria. Having support for all the bells and whistles of this modern HW in the free stack would be really neat.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Wow! I wasn't expecting freesync support at all. Great job! Every time I think AMD's open source commitment can't get better, they prove me wrong. I didn't expect DAL to be ready for 4.9, either. This thing is huge.
      Question: is it merged progressively, or just worked on until it is in an adequate state?

I think I will just carry on recommending AMD cards all around me. This makes at least 12 more card for AMD these last 4 years. I mean, even for windows players, they aren't a bad fit. That's by no mean a lot, but if many people are doing the same, that's starting to be pretty big numbers.

Comment

Can't wait for my RX 480s to arrive. Smooth 4K desktop and lightweight 3D tasks will be awesome. :- )

Comment

AMD, could you please release an AMDGPU-Pro driver for us non-Ubuntu users? I really want to buy a rx480 soon and want OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
            AMD, could you please release an AMDGPU-Pro driver for us non-Ubuntu users? I really want to buy a rx480 soon and want OpenCL.
            Mesa's clover works, no?

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
              I don't know about the most recent blobs, but have you checked the repositories of your distribution (or alternative ones)? I know that I could install fglrx (whatever it's called now, Crimson, Radeon Center, ati-drivers...) on Gentoo and also SuSE. Or maybe just try to install the blob? (Don't know if it still needs to recompile something for your kernel or if it already works on top of amdgpu (needs recent kernel, then).) I guess Ubuntu might just be the one "officially supported" and "guaranteed to run", but of course, don't take my thoughts here as a grant for success.

Comment

This should also be used to prevent tearing during playing of videos.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  I think I will just carry on recommending AMD cards all around me. This makes at least 12 more card for AMD these last 4 years. I mean, even for windows players, they aren't a bad fit. That's by no mean a lot, but if many people are doing the same, that's starting to be pretty big numbers.
                  Doing so for many years now.
                  Of course first checking what the person requires to do the tasks, then thinking about it, doing some research on the current market and then giving suggestions. Sadly more and more people just want these non-modular, non-fixable, no upgrade possibility, one black box without choice of components laptops.

My first AMD would have been the K6-2 (switching from my i486) but it wasn't available anywhere so that still was an intel (233 MMX). Luckily after that it was all AMD (besides two VIA machines for a different purpose) and I was never disappointed.
                  I remember they day on a local Linux conference where I asked some AMD representative about the driver issues (back in the day) not long after the merge with ATI and he told me something like "ah, just you wait and see". And then, bam! Specs! Freedom driver!
                  I made sure even the chipsets were AMD made then. This good effort needed to be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

I don't know about the most recent blobs, but have you checked the repositories of your distribution (or alternative ones)? I know that I could install fglrx (whatever it's called now, Crimson, Radeon Center, ati-drivers...) on Gentoo and also SuSE. Or maybe just try to install the blob? (Don't know if it still needs to recompile something for your kernel or if it already works on top of amdgpu (needs recent kernel, then).) I guess Ubuntu might just be the one "officially supported" and "guaranteed to run", but of course, don't take my thoughts here as a grant for success.
                    Is there a Crimson with Polaris support? I haven't heard of it.
                    I used to install the AMD drivers for Suse from here: https://www.sebastian-siebert.de/
                    As I said, there is no (non-ubuntu) driver for rx480 with OpenCL/Vulkan support.

Comment

Working...
                    X