Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of GIMP & Its Future

Phoronix: The State of GIMP & Its Future

GIMP core developer Jehan Pagès has written a blog post about the recent work done on GIMP 2.9.4 as well as a look at its future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's so great about gegl tho?

I mean I'm an artist, I paint on linux. I'm excited to see GIMP improve, right now I'm using Krita (which started out as a GIMP fork I think but has evolved pretty far from that).

I mean I think if 2.10 is supposed to be so amazing they really neet to redesign the interface from ground up to be more intuitive and all round usable. The lacking UI of GIMP is it's biggest flaw and repellant of potential new users.

That's largely the reason I never stuck with it for very long. The interface was so messy (not to mention hideously ugly) the by far weakest link of GIMP is it's horrid UI design and it's weird keybinding scheme (the latter admittedly carried over to krita too)

I mean who was the genius who thought "ctrl+shift+a" was a better way to deselect than "ctrl+d"? And the UI of gimp, it's an old design, a relic. If you want to revive gimp's popularity (which krita has now fully taken over almost) you're gonna have to start there. It may seem superficial, but the superficial, the first impression, it's the first thing you need to get right, not the last. A mistake us programmers often make. Get a capable UI designer to do this properly. I mean I would offer to do it but I'm not a capable UI designer even if I'd like to learn to be one.

Comment

Lets face the facts here about gimps user interface, a lot of people just don't like the user interface. It's not that gimp can't replace photoshop, it can, it's that people don't like using it.

All of the technical improvements are great, but -the- number one thing gimp needs to do is redesign the interface and that's been the case for years already. I don't understand why it hasn't been done a long time ago.

Comment

The creator of GIMP was babbling about GEGL all the time back to like 5-10 years ago and didn't deliver for many years while begging all the time for money. Haven't read the blog but from the comments it looks like the dude is still babbling about GEGL.
        That's why I dislike many free/open-source projects - because they turn into deliver-little-beg-all-the-time projects.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          All of the technical improvements are great, but -the- number one thing gimp needs to do is redesign the interface and that's been the case for years already. I don't understand why it hasn't been done a long time ago.
          Because it is extremely difficult to design it right? Right now I imagine the (few) devs wanting to finish 2.10, before spending a year+ on UI/usability planning. We will see if the change to GTK3 in GIMP 2.12/3.0 will follow the GNOME HIG more closely, and generally modernize the interface using new toolkit elements.

GEGL support in other software sounds very interesting!

... with image processing graphs which can be exchanged between programs, where darktable would share buffers with GIMP so that images can be edited in one program and updated in real time in the other, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

Because it is extremely difficult to design it right? Right now I imagine the (few) devs wanting to finish 2.10, before spending a year+ on UI/usability planning. We will see if the change to GTK3 in GIMP 2.12/3.0 will follow the GNOME HIG more closely, and generally modernize the interface using new toolkit elements.

GEGL support in other software sounds very interesting!
            That sounds just like a copout. I understand it, but you do realize that a large portion of people don't like the interface? It doesn't matter how hard it is, it needs done. It needed done a long time ago.

Anyway, I really do hope that you guys spend some time during the GTK3 transition to actually talk to users about the interface. Get some feedback for crying out loud, and take it consideration. Stop ignoring it, and stop making excusing for why you're ignoring it.

Comment

That sounds just like a copout. I understand it, but you do realize that a large portion of people don't like the interface? It doesn't matter how hard it is, it needs done. It needed done a long time ago.

Anyway, I really do hope that you guys spend some time during the GTK3 transition to actually talk to users about the interface. Get some feedback for crying out loud, and take it consideration. Stop ignoring it, and stop making excusing for why you're ignoring it.
              It could just be that none of the people on the GIMP team are able to do the UX and UI justice. It is a completely different skillset to doing the back end - and to be honest - GIMPs UI does look like a programmer wrote it

For example - the KDE team had to put the VDG in place and they go around and sprinkle "UI Fairy Dust"tm on projects and make them look good. Maybe this is what is needed.

Comment

What about you do something more than whining? GIMP has a crappy interface and everyone knows it, the devs too.
                Maybe they need help? Maybe that's what opensource projects are for? To let people help instead of just whine about a free product in forums?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  What about you do something more than whining? GIMP has a crappy interface and everyone knows it, the devs too.
                  Maybe they need help? Maybe that's what opensource projects are for? To let people help instead of just whine about a free product in forums?
                  You're an idiot. You actually think the point of open sourcing software is to require non-programmers to fix flaws in programming?

I know for a fact you're going to insist that's the case, but let me just remind you there is a very good reason why, for example, AMD decided the best way to support open source is by releasing code. Same exact difference.

This'll be my one and only response to you on this topic.

Comment

Gimp is a great image rendering engine. I just wish it had a good image edtior.

Comment

Working...
                    X