Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Founder Of Wayland Has Joined Google

Phoronix: The Founder Of Wayland Has Joined Google

Last week we reported on Kristian Høgsberg, the founder of Wayland and a long-time Linux graphics developer, leaving his position at Intel. We now know he headed off to Google...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that Gnu/Linux distributions with Wayland environment (and any other Linux systems with Wayland too) are competitors to Android and Chrome OS. It would surprise me if somebody working for Google will be actively develop Wayland or make pragmatic environment for desktop/Wayland session.

Comment

Unfortunately, any details beyond that aren't public right now, but will be interesting to see what he ends up working on!
      What do you mean? Of course he'll be working on inserting ads into Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by coastiron View Post
        I think that Gnu/Linux distributions with Wayland environment (and any other Linux systems with Wayland too) are competitors to Android and Chrome OS. It would surprise me if somebody working for Google will be actively develop Wayland or make pragmatic environment for desktop/Wayland session.
        Competing with Android how? It's the master of the mobile space which is, as both Jolla and Canonical have shown, a really tough market to get into. ChromeOS I could maybe see some distros competing against except that in all of ChromeOS's time on the market none have really focused on being designed for that sort of hardware and situations.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
          ChromeOS I could maybe see some distros competing against
          Once they deploy the Android app compatibility layer, that's a lost battle.

I'm seriously considering one myself if that layer pans out well.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Competing with Android how? It's the master of the mobile space which is, as both Jolla and Canonical have shown
            Canonical and Jolla are relatively small companies. Samsung with Tizen (which internally has Wayland since 3.* version I think) is more capable competitor.

Unfortunately I think that Google is more probable to sabotage Wayland development than to support it.
            However Kristian Høgsberg, as a father of Wayland, probably is not interested in killing its own child-project, so probably he will be focused on more constructive projects i.e. enhancing SurfaceFlinger and Android drivers etc.
            It is time for Google to reveal Lennart Poettering of Wayland, so to speak.

Comment

I'd love to hear that he's working on a pure Go GUI toolkit... but there is no basis to support that; I'm only spreading rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Once they deploy the Android app compatibility layer, that's a lost battle.

I'm seriously considering one myself if that layer pans out well.
                They rolled out the PlayStore to the R11 (which I own) and Pixel 2 today.
                It's working great for something that's in the Development Channel. Really adds a lot to the Chromebook experience.
                Last edited by blackout23; 14 July 2016, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I would guess that Google is officially indifferent to Wayland. Even if Cinnamon, KDE, GNOME 3, MATE, Xfce, LXQt, or any other Linux desktop was rock solid, secure, and high performance with Wayland it's not likely to steal even 0.5% of the Android or Chrome OS market share. But making desktop Linux better doesn't help Google in any way either. So they get no benefit from killing it or supporting it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    They rolled out the PlayStore to the R11 (which I own) and Pixel 2 today.
                    It's working great for something that's in the Development Channel. Really adds a lot to the Chromebook experience.
                    Ooh, cool. Can't wait.

Originally posted by coastiron View Post
                    Unfortunately I think that Google is more probable to sabotage Wayland development than to support it.
                    Why? It would make plenty of sense to migrate to that and dump a good chunk of development effort for their own display subsystem.

Comment

Working...
                    X