Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Working On Team Fortress 2 "Meet Your Match"

Phoronix: Valve Is Working On Team Fortress 2 "Meet Your Match"

Valve will soon be releasing a big update to their Team Fortress 2 game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I doubt they'll be announcing anything Source 2 related. Most likely (based on prior content updates) day 2 will show off new weapons, achievements, and most of all, hats to go along with matchmaking updates.

Comment

So, first of all, let me say that I DO NOT think that it will get a new engine or Vulkan backport. Having said that...

Valve released a new Steam client update just a few days ago with the note "improved compability with some upcoming Vulkan games" (yes, plural). And they backported that change from the Steam client beta to the stable branch like it was urgent.

Comment

Day 2 is going to be about a new WAR - Heavy vs Pyro. Reddit managed to leak that lol
        About TF2 on Linux... It runs well enough for me to play it. Except there's that old issue with certain Radeons being unstable. I wish it wasn't a thing, so I could pretty much switch to Linux already.

Comment

Speaking of matchmaking, I've always wondered why nobody tried using "can only play against significantly lower-ranked people if they're your friends" as an anti-cheat mechanism in a game.

After all, if the problem is cheaters spoiling it for other players, why not just force them to play against people so good that the cheat doesn't help? If that becomes commonplace, it should spoil the experience for anyone who cheats, discouraging future cheating, without requiring the more traditional, heavy-handed approaches.

Comment

If Valve is still serious about pushing SteamOS one should expect that they
            will port at least their cash-cow games to a new engine with Vulkan support.
            I'd say it's clearly a bad sign if it is not happening anytime soon.
            How else can you convince developers to support Vulkan if you're
            not even using it in your own products (apart from DOTA)?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              Speaking of matchmaking, I've always wondered why nobody tried using "can only play against significantly lower-ranked people if they're your friends" as an anti-cheat mechanism in a game.

After all, if the problem is cheaters spoiling it for other players, why not just force them to play against people so good that the cheat doesn't help? If that becomes commonplace, it should spoil the experience for anyone who cheats, discouraging future cheating, without requiring the more traditional, heavy-handed approaches.
              I'm not sure what you mean, but I'd just expect less experienced players to eventually learn how to counter a hacker (eg. vaccinator against snipers/amby spies). There's a paywall introduced too (10 euros, will get higher eventually) for people who do not have premium and do not have a phone number added to their account. That should limit the amount of hackers noticably.

Comment

At this point TF2 is still running on a seriously archaic form of the source engine. It needs a major overhaul, at least to parity with CSGO, if they don't move to source 2.

Comment

Since they seem either unable of unwilling to fix numerous well known bugs that have existed for years, I doubt that they'll attempt any sort of port or overhaul

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    If Valve is still serious about pushing SteamOS one should expect that they
                    will port at least their cash-cow games to a new engine with Vulkan support.
                    I'd say it's clearly a bad sign if it is not happening anytime soon.
                    How else can you convince developers to support Vulkan if you're
                    not even using it in your own products (apart from DOTA)?

Why? They run great without it and they won't make game sales for their efforts.. Now, a Team Fortress 3 or Half Life 3 on Vulkan, makes sense...

Comment

Working...
                    X