Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SteamOS Beta Bundles Interesting AMDGPU-PRO Driver

Phoronix: New SteamOS Beta Bundles Interesting AMDGPU-PRO Driver

Valve last night released the SteamOS 2.83 Brewmaster Beta, which includes AMDGPU-PRO RC2 and the NVIDIA 367.27 driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Week weeks?" What do you mean "week weeks?"

Comment

I'm not sure it's actually "newer" as much as "different", eg tested & fixed for a specific distro and specific hardware. It's no different from what we do with (for example) workstation IHVs running RHEL or providing Canonical with a targetted version of fglrx for integration in Ubuntu builds.

What specifically do you see as "wrong" about it ? As long as most of the userspace drivers are closed source there's going to be a bit of "going against open source culture" anyways, isn't there ?
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

bridgman: I would like to ask why was Steam given access to a newer amdgpu-pro driver (16.30.1 in particular, 16.40.0 is ok for just today) ahead of other Linux users. In my opinion this kind of policy is going against open-source culture.
        AMD did not restrict them from being used by others. Just see the debs already being linked in a public repo. Sending copies to everyone takes time and money. Everyone can get their copy if they need it.

Comment

Didn't know that you could update the graphics driver via steam. Will try some day.

Comment

Some people are hard to please.

Comment

*Bridgman shakes head, wonders what part of "those drivers aren't tested for or intended for use outside of SteamOS" he is failing to communicate clearly

If you are saying "every driver we send to any partner for any purpose also needs to be made available for general use and broadly communicated as such even though we have no idea if it will even work" that's fair to ask but it seems like a really bad idea to me. Feel free to convince me I'm wrong.
              Last edited by bridgman; 29 June 2016, 08:58 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                Didn't know that you could update the graphics driver via steam. Will try some day.
                steamOS not steam

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

bridgman: I would like to ask why was Steam given access to a newer amdgpu-pro driver (16.30.1 in particular, 16.40.0 is ok for just today) ahead of other Linux users. In my opinion this kind of policy is going against open-source culture.
                  Guest I would like to know what the Pro driver has to do with open source.

Comment

Working...
                  X