Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Lx 3.0 Beta 2 Released

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Lx 3.0 Beta 2 Released

It's been two years since the last stable OpenMandriva Lx release and more than one year since Lx 3 Alpha was released but coming out today is finally the second beta of this Mandriva-derived Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if it is not better idea to join already existing major GNU/Linux distro team which has similar base system and try to push of your ideas there rather than struggle building a decent distro for years?

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
      I wonder if it is not better idea to join already existing major GNU/Linux distro team which has similar base system and try to push of your ideas there rather than struggle building a decent distro for years?
      It all makes sense if you consider that they are French. Rebasing it on Ubuntu/debian would be a major hit on their honor or something, they'd rather die trying to make an independent Mandriva.

Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure we don't even need yet another Debian/Buntu reskin, it's better if they keep it as independent as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure we don't even need yet another Debian/Buntu reskin, it's better if they keep it as independent as possible.
        Well, as I see it, with their current enthusiasm and diligence they could make any distro MUCH-MUCH stronger now! Kubuntu? Fedora's KDE spin? openSUSE? add yours or pick any! It is possible to add their beautiful theme to any distro and surely add to package maintenance and quality of that distro...
        Anyway, probably they know better what they are doing. And I honestly wish them good luck!

Comment

Many years ago I've used Mandrake. If Flatpak gets widely used, I might have a look again. Tried yesterday Fedora. Good but not recognizing Win10, hence no way to move away from Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
            Many years ago I've used Mandrake. If Flatpak gets widely used, I might have a look again. Tried yesterday Fedora. Good but not recognizing Win10, hence no way to move away from Ubuntu.
            What you mean with "not recognizing win10"?

Comment

It's not found by grub.- Before I have a look again they need to fix such basic bugs...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                It's not found by grub.- Before I have a look again they need to fix such basic bugs...
                Cool. You tried OpenSUSE?
                I can't say if their grub configuration is better, but they are the only non-Debian-derived distro that has settings to allow me to install it WITHOUT installing a bootloader somewhere (as I use rEFInd boot manager, but there are also other guys with previous grub installations that might not want to overwrite it, it's a sensible choice to have in an installer).

Comment

now i am writing from the live image of the beta release... everything is smooth and perfect haha very easy to notice the carefuly picked options
                  it is said that they are using LTO for optimizing their packages, so maybe that played role, but no very distinct "speediness" can be felt... it would be interesting if PHORONIX posts a benchmark review of the final version so people can compare with their distros

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                    This is an already existing distro -- it's been around since July 1998 in one form or another.

Also, the base system is a key area where we differ from everyone else (building with clang and all).

The world doesn't need yet another Ubuntu clone. There is a need for getting the base system right.

Comment

Working...
                    X