Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaTek Announces An Interesting Deca-Core ARM Dev Board

Phoronix: MediaTek Announces An Interesting Deca-Core ARM Dev Board

The folks at MediaTek in Hsinchu announced the Helio X20 Development Board today as the first development board using a tri-cluster, deca-core design...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be rather interested to see ARM processors and motherboards enter the desktop and laptop space, not just mobile space. MediaTek make some pretty juicy processors. I'd love to see them scaled up to a real computer. Because Linux exists this can happen too... And these companies could play on Microsoft's direction to merge the mobile and desktop markets to get green lights on making such hardware.

Intel and AMD need some new competition.

Comment

USB 2.0.
      The fu*k?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        I would be rather interested to see ARM processors and motherboards enter the desktop and laptop space, not just mobile space.
        I agree, but ARM seems to be completely uninterested. You can't even get them interested in Chromebooks.

Maybe they think they couldn't compete well against Intel in some of these markets, which is probably true.

Comment

Interesting/inovative design.
          Other than that:
          No Linux support (like every other board that isn't RPi)
          No Ethernet
          No USB3.0

Are they even trying?
          Or, as Freddie Mercury would say: 'Is this the real world?'

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            Other than that:
            No Ethernet
            No USB3.0

Are they even trying?
            Or, as Freddie Mercury would say: 'Is this the real world?'
            It's even worse as their are no good free drivers for mali ( or adreno for that matter) gpu's. I would love to be able to run a regular distro on arm hardware and run wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              Other than that:
              Huh? Of course there is Linux support. What else would they run on it? Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by kiputnik View Post

Huh? Of course there is Linux support. What else would they run on it? Windows?
                I guess official desktop Linux support was meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                  It's even worse as their are no good free drivers for mali ( or adreno for that matter) gpu's. I would love to be able to run a regular distro on arm hardware and run wayland.
                  I thought that Adreno had one of the best (Freedreno), maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Comment

barrel-type power supply and no linux support? I'll go with raspberry pi. Pity odroid C2 shipping cost is $16. If not, it can be another alternative.

Comment

Working...
                    X