Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Beta Brings Many Improvements For Steam Controllers

Phoronix: Steam Beta Brings Many Improvements For Steam Controllers

If you picked up the Steam Controller during the recent deal that put it at just $35 USD or have had one of these controllers from Valve for some time, you'll definitely want to check out the latest Steam client beta available tonight...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In changelog there is mentioned :
    • Improved compatibility with newer Linux distributions
    Does anybody know what that means ?

Comment

Originally posted by lamiska View Post

probably that more ubuntu 12.04 old crap has been stuffed in the Steam's libraries folders.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        probably that more ubuntu 12.04 old crap has been stuffed in the Steam's libraries folders.
        I didn't think that for someone to add compatibility with newer distros, they would have to add "old crap". Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
          I didn't think that for someone to add compatibility with newer distros, they would have to add "old crap". Interesting...
          FYI: Steam pulls down a large amount of libraries coming from Ubuntu 12.04, and stores them in a "ubuntu_12.04" folder inside its folders in your home folder, and the games you run are actually using these libraries not the ones in your system, apart from graphics drivers of course. Unless you explicitly tell it so with a command line parameter at launch.

That's how Steam manages to run decently in more or less in any linux system with little changes, because they employ this crude sandboxing, so for most intents and purposes it's running in an Ubuntu 12.04 system with newer kernel/drivers.

So yeah, my guesss is that some newer system libraries they didn't yet sandbox are breaking things, and they got added to the sandbox.

Comment

Originally posted by lamiska View Post

Maybe it means that you don't have to tinker anymore with modules, permissions in udev, etc... My controller was unusable for month just because /dev/something didn't have the right permission. You would think that steam would take care of it, or log an error in case of problems, but no.

Comment

udev is so full of bugs, it should be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                They should try snap, shouldn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                  They should try snap, shouldn't they?
                  More like flatpack. This is only a hack, a temporary solution. I really doubt they can keep using Ubuntu 12.04 libs FOR EVAR. They will need to make more than one version so games can use newer libraries every now and then.

Optimal solution is flatpack, they make Steam app itself and each game its own self-contained blob and keep some modules outside like "libraries for games that use ubuntu 12.04" or "libraries for games that use ubuntu 20.04" and so on. Flatpack allows that modular runtime usage, it would save LOTS of space in comparison to Snap that cannot.

Of course this still means you get various GBs of crap libraries in your system like now (while with snap you would need to clone them for each single game which is a bit retarede), at least they are kept tidy and locked down this way.

Comment

I am getting ready to do my own FlatPak Steam package, as being RPMFusion down for newest Fedora vesion is getting a bit tedious. Also it would benefit for having package to drop in for Steam support for both bleeding edge Fedora and Debian.

Comment

Working...
                    X