Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Is A Minecraft Mod Being Worked On To Support Vulkan

Phoronix: There Is A Minecraft Mod Being Worked On To Support Vulkan

An ambitious developer has begun a project to rewrite Minecraft's Java-based OpenGL renderer and in its place use a Vulkan renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand why someone would work on a game that doesn't even explicitly allow you to modify it (even going as far as obfuscating the code that mods do use to make it more difficult for them) instead of one that is open-source and openly appreciates things like this.

I get that Minecraft is popular but I still to this day don't understand its popularity. It's not *that* great, especially given its age and the budget it has had.

Comment

The game could probably use it! I heard its shockingly optimized and just BOGS down real fast. (at least the Java one).

Comment

I respect the enthusiasm for making a vulkan renderer, but Minecraft has a LOT more optimizations that need to be done before a vulkan renderer is slapped on. The game is hilariously CPU bound, and not only because of draw calls. Even still, the barely gl2.1 style renderer could use a lot of improvement, such as instancing, UBOs, and other stuff.
        I think doing the small, but very impactful and noticable jumps to a good 3.3 or 4.whatever renderer (and also optimizing other things in general) would be more beneficial than jumping straight to vulkan, for the same amount of time and effort. Plus, it would help the people using systems that don't support vulkan yet, such as older hardware or some of the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
          ... but I still to this day don't understand its popularity. It's not *that* great, especially given its age and the budget it has had.
          Do you really think that new games that had an obscenely high budget are automatically good?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucretia

Big whoop, doesn't mean there'll be a version for Linux.
            Luckily, i found Linux's supported after having a glance at the code

Comment

Nonsense, the game is CPU-bound.

Comment

The developer should focus on creating an engine not specifically for Minecraft.
                Look at projects like Minetest (also written in C++, has mod API) or Terasology (written in Java).
                I'm hoping The Nova Renderer will be adopted by the FLOSS alternatives to Minecraft.

Comment

A few things about minecraft, as i see noobs or heiters are gathering around:
                  1) Native Minecraft version is pretty casual, but:
                  1.1) Manicraft has a huge modding potential,
                  1.2) Minecraft with all its unofficial mods is the biggest game in human history,
                  1.3) Minecraft mods can bring huge change in both gameplay and graphics (game can run).
                  2) Minecraft is currently java bound and lacks optimization,
                  2.1) You can test windows 10 version or any other clone, written in c or c++ - its huge improvement on resourses management and overall game performance,
                  2.2) Therefore minecraft currently is not bound by cpu or gpu, but by java.
                  3) But, rewriting native minecraft game in c++ would mean dropping support for all current mods and huge part of its community.
                  Last edited by startas; 13 June 2016, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by startas View Post
                    A few things about minecraft, as i see noobs or heiters are gathering around:
                    1) Native Minecraft version is pretty casual, but:
                    1.1) Manicraft has a huge modding potential,
                    1.2) Minecraft with all its unofficial mods is the biggest game in human history,
                    1.3) Minecraft mods can bring huge change in both gameplay and graphics (game can run).
                    2) Minecraft is currently java bound and lacks optimization,
                    2.1) You can test windows 10 version or any other clone, written in c or c++ - its huge improvement on resourses management and overall game performance,
                    2.2) Therefore minecraft currently is not bound by cpu or gpu, but by java.
                    3) But, rewriting native minecraft game in c++ would mean dropping support for all current mods and huge part of its community.
                    What do you think about the problem of old OpenGL version that causes lots of stuff to be done on the CPU that can by using newer versions be done on the GPU?
                    What do you think about Minetest (http://www.minetest.net/) and Terasology (http://terasology.org/) .

Comment

Working...
                    X