Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases CodeXL 2.1 With Vulkan Support

Phoronix: AMD Releases CodeXL 2.1 With Vulkan Support

AMD's GPUOpen initiative announced a new major release to their CodeXL tool suite for debugging and profiling of CPU/GPU/APUs. One of the big additions to this CodeXL 2.1 release is Vulkan support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    For what the community is really waiting is the Vulkan codebase dropping from AMDGPU-pro to the AMDGPU ALL OPEN...
    ...to do what?
    What would you do with an AMD open source Vulkan driver?

I would rather like to see AMD OpenCL support so that I can switch from Catalyst to radeonSI driver. For working on photographs (darktable, NeatImage) OpenCL is quite useful.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post

...to do what?

I would rather like to see AMD OpenCL support so that I can switch from Catalyst to radeonSI driver. For working on photographs (darktable, NeatImage) OpenCL is quite useful.
      To be fair, AMD already opened up a good amount of their OpenCL built-in library. It's in a branch of the libclc project (under the LLVM svn server)... A general lack of volunteer manpower, however, has meant a slow trickle of ports from what AMD open-sourced into the libclc project.

But yes, they could release a fully-baked OpenCL implementation that ran on top of radeonsi... at which point clover doesn't really serve much purpose besides maybe helping out the nouveau people and those who are running r600g for older Evergreen/NI/Cayman cards.

Comment

...to do what?

I'd compile it #gentoo

As for OpenCL, there is Clover - but you're right it's not that good

Comment

...to do what?

To run vulkan applications with the open driver maybe? At this point vulkan is the only reason to install closed drivers for some people. As new features get implemented in the amdgpu kernel driver (like overdrive recently), and newer cards using amdgpu enter the market, using closed drivers will be a special case. (As fglrx was originally made for firegl cards, the closed pro driver is probably meant to be used in a similar manner, for "pro" use cases, probably.)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

To run vulkan applications with the open driver maybe? At this point vulkan is the only reason to install closed drivers for some people...
            My point is - are there Vulkan apps for Linux?
            I see that a hand full of devs need Vulkan to develop those apps.
            In contrast - there are Linux apps that use OpenCL.

Comment

My point is - are there Vulkan apps for Linux?
              I see that a hand full of devs need Vulkan to develop those apps.
              In contrast - there are Linux apps that use OpenCL.
              chicken and egg

Comment

Working...
              X