Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon 3.0 Desktop Primed For Release

Phoronix: Cinnamon 3.0 Desktop Primed For Release

The GNOME3-forked Cinnamon Desktop is ready for its 3.0 milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

but no wayland support yet

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
      Yeah.. I might even change DE because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

i never will, linux mint don't want it

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

i never will, linux mint don't want it
          Well fuck linux mint and cinnamon then.

Comment

Cinnamon sort of looks better than Budgie does atm (slightly more polish to it as well), but Budgie just makes so much more sense under-the-hood than Cinnamon. Integrating tightly with the GNOME3 stack (which is excellent) while providing a simple and clean UI (Utada Hikaru wallpaper optional) not only reduces the amount of work the very few Solus devs have to do with the desktop, but also frees them up to focus on what matters most to them on the desktop: the UI.

Budgie accomplishes the same thing Cinnamon does, but with deadly efficiency, less development hitches since not every GNOME3 component under the gorram sun is forked, and even sorts out the settings in an elegant yet sane manner (most desktop and decoration settings are in Raven incl. GTK/Icon theme, the rest are in the Settings menu). They even plan on going 100% Wayland this December. Talk about forward thinking.

Comment

LOL, a handful of minor bugfixes and they call that 3.0. I bet the mindless Mint drones still fall for the scheme and actually believe that Cinnamon in a healthy project just because a cosmetic change before the decimal point.
              The sober fact is that https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/tree/master/src is pretty much untouched since years and native Wayland support is not possible with wishful thinking. Actual developers have to port the code.

People should just use Gnome 3 Classic. It's pretty much the same as Cinnamon anyway (just properly maintained).

Comment

Budgie was a nice place to visit, their Calendar and App Menu could have used some UX improvements in my opinion last I tried it on Arch.

Cinnamon 3 is welcomed by me for a test run. I'm not really sure what ideals or singular goal they revolve around. Like with Arch it's don't hide features, and keep it simple. With Gnome it's about having a consistent HIG across Apps and the System to make the OS predictable.

I'm not really sure what "claim to fame" Cinnamon has. Nemo still seems to be bound by the same annoyances of upstream Nautilus like how the Desktop Icons organize in a grid like they do beautifully in Plasma 5 / KDE 5.

I would liken it to the Dr Pepper of Desktop Shells, It's neither Pepsi or Cola, neither Gnome nor KDE. I think they would benefit greatly from a HIG Interface upgrade across the board.

Comment

I hate Phoronix "Unapproved Comments" filter, I loose so many comments.

Edit: Good thing I copy my posts before posting otherwise I would loose a lot of effort to Phoronix Forum software's whims.
                  --
                  ​Budgie was a nice place to visit, their Calendar and App Menu could have used some UX improvements in my opinion last I tried it on Arch.

Cinnamon 3 is welcomed by me for a test run. I'm not really sure what ideals or singular goal they revolve around. Like with Arch it's don't hide features, and keep it simple. With Gnome it's about having a consistent HIG across Apps and the System to make the OS predictable.

I'm not really sure what "claim to fame" Cinnamon has. Nemo still seems to be bound by the same annoyances of upstream Nautilus like how the Desktop Icons organize in a grid like they do beautifully in Plasma 5 / KDE 5.

I would liken it to the Dr Pepper of Desktop Shells, It's neither Pepsi or Cola, neither Gnome nor KDE. I think they would benefit greatly from a HIG Interface upgrade across the board.

Comment

Is there any real point to Cinnamon these days? Do they have a vision for it at all, like where do they see it in 2 years?Is there any reason to use it over Budgie or even Mate?

Comment

Working...
                    X