Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started With Mesa Development This Weekend

Phoronix: Getting Started With Mesa Development This Weekend

It seems more and more independent developers are interested in getting involved in Mesa open-source graphics driver development, but aren't really sure where to start or what are some easy tasks to get started...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very freakin cool. Also guys don't forget mesa has a very good bug tracker. It is well worth it to give it a look over every single day. It is highly likely that you'll come across bugs reports that you are capable of fixing even if you aren't familiar with the codebase. I'm not even programmer really and I've helped with fixing a few of them. If I can help in my own limited way then I'm absolutely positive other folks that visit this forum can do much more.

EDIT: Also just the fact of filing bug reports can help tremendously. If you aren't a programmer and you experience a bug, just freakin file it. Don't put it off and ignore it and then bitch about it. Do you due diligence so that other people that have the ability to fix it can use your report as a starting point.
    Last edited by duby229; 17 April 2016, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Agreed. The important message here is that there is a range of tasks, for people bringing a range of prior skillsets, to improve the Linux graphics driver experience.

Comment

Very nice. It would be even nicer to see this email thread evolve into a Wiki page with clear concise instructions. I think other projects could benefit with similar "HowTo" pages - X11 and KDE to name a few. You might be recruiting "newbes" to your platform but some of these newbes are from from beginners with their skill sets.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
          Very nice. It would be even nicer to see this email thread evolve into a Wiki page with clear concise instructions. I think other projects could benefit with similar "HowTo" pages - X11 and KDE to name a few. You might be recruiting "newbes" to your platform but some of these newbes are from from beginners with their skill sets.
          Totally agree, reading the thread, it seems implied that the Jakob already knows the workflow of a linux graphic driver, which seems to me the most obscure part of the driver development.

How to setup the development environment? How should I test the driver? How to not mess up with the host system installed driver? Basically how to develop for linux..

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Totally agree, reading the thread, it seems implied that the Jakob already knows the workflow of a linux graphic driver, which seems to me the most obscure part of the driver development.

How to setup the development environment? How should I test the driver? How to not mess up with the host system installed driver? Basically how to develop for linux..
            Its getting a little out of date but this should answer a number of those questions http://www.itsqueeze.com/2013/09/int...rough-example/

Comment

Maybe they should have Mesa on GitHub too?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Maybe they should have Mesa on GitHub too?
                I think you'll find many folks have personal forks of mesa on github for their own work-in-progress stuff.. but I doubt upstream would move there. (Plus, no idea how/if we could do the patchwork and CI integration if the upstream tree was hosted on github)

Comment

Working...
                X