Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.14 Development Is Focused Around GTK3 Porting

Phoronix: Xfce 4.14 Development Is Focused Around GTK3 Porting

It will likely be quite some time before the Xfce 4.14 desktop environment is released while the main focus this development cycle is on porting to the GTK+ 3.x tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Xfce 4.14 Development Is Focused Around GTK3 Porting

It will likely be quite some time before the Xfce 4.14 desktop environment is released while the main focus this development cycle is on porting to the GTK+ 3.x tool-kit...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...4-Early-Report
    I really, really, really, really, really, REALLY, wish it would be 5.0..... Anyway that won't happen and this may be a good time for new devs to hop in on a project to help get their feet wet.

Comment

The roadmap without any actual dates should have been a strong hint this isn't worth writing an article about right now.

Comment

I hope the source tarballs for 4.10 and 4.12 will stay available for a long time because I will be using them.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I really, really, really, really, really, REALLY, wish it would be 5.0..... Anyway that won't happen and this may be a good time for new devs to hop in on a project to help get their feet wet.
          So, will you?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Too many cooks spoil the soup. When you have many developers, you end up to have buggy and slow ms windows,kde and gnome3.
            How does that work for GTK+, which Xfce is using? Is it buggy and slow as well? Because it certainly has a ton of contributors.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

So, will you?
              Look at the bugtracker. I've helped with bugs I was having in the past. And there is nothing wrong with encouraging devs to hop in. New devs will find educational at minimum.
              Last edited by duby229; 12 April 2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I usually disagree with most of your posts, but here I definitely agree. If switching to GTK3 doesn't warrant a new version number, what does? They have to modify almost every aspect of the environment and are putting the stability of the environment at risk. One of the primary reasons people like XFCE is because of how solid it is. Just because this will be a very slow transition, that doesn't mean people aren't going to notice something is happening.

I really like the idea of switching to GTK3 (especially if that means getting Wayland support) but the current version of XFCE4 (with GTK2) needs to be distinguishable.
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 12 April 2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Look at the bugtracker. I've helped with bugs I was having in the past. And there is nothing wrong with encouraging devs to hop in. New devs will find educational at minimum.
                  Sorry, my bad. Prejudice and all that you know...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You are right, maybe qt has more quality, but you use what you have. You must remember the history of Xfce.
                    So then Xfce is a fast and reliable software built on top of buggy and slow GTK+?

Comment

Working...
                    X