Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Alpha Is Looking Great, Running Well

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Alpha Is Looking Great, Running Well

Since Tuesday's release of Fedora 24 Alpha I've been having a wonderful time trying out this test release with all of the exciting changes building up for Fedora 24...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora is nice, at least if you put cinnamon on it, it is secure with SELinux and a powerful default firewall configuration, and I like that. I got tired of arch linux for various reasons so I decided to give Fedora a try, and you know what, it's a pretty decent system...

As long as you're not a gamer using proprietary drivers. Same issue I had with Linux mint (except on mint the drivers on top of everything are way too hard to install), proprietary nvidia drivers are liable to break between updates or for other reasons. And well, you never know when you run into a bug (like it was only yesterday that I booted up my system and woops Cinnamon has gone into fallback mode. I had to downgrade it to get the system running again, and this whole ordeal somehow broke steam (says it can't load swrast when I try to start it))

I think I'm going back to arch (Any gamer will suffer the inability to use the latest released driver, and this doesn't apply any less to AMDGPU and Nouveau and Radeon than it does the nvidia proprietary and amd gpu-pro drivers, Arch is frankly the only OS I know that allows me to do this painlessly), but well I might consider fedora for something like being a file server host OS, it seems like it would be nice for that, and other everyday tasks. Maybe there is better luck on AMDGPU and GPU-Pro, I don't know, I don't have any hardware that supports that (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't support GPU-Pro yet)
    Last edited by rabcor; 31 March 2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Tried it. The installed simply crashed shortly after beginning the install. Will try the beta in a month to see if they fixed the issue.

Comment

I installed Ubuntu 15.04 and now i'm using 15.10 with proprietary Nvidia 364.12 + Gnome 1.18 and kernel 4.5. All good. no problems on updates at all. But i'm willing to give a try into another distro.

I just got a new ssd and i am looking for a new distro for tests porpouses. Would fedora be a good choice or what? I always wanted to give it a try.

I use dailly this rig for gaming and streaming. I just want a system that i can update with latests drivers and is stable.

Comment

Originally posted by shaolin View Post
          I installed Ubuntu 15.04 and now i'm using 15.10 with proprietary Nvidia 364.12 + Gnome 1.18 and kernel 4.5. All good. no problems on updates at all. But i'm willing to give a try into another distro.

I just got a new ssd and i am looking for a new distro for tests porpouses. Would fedora be a good choice or what? I always wanted to give it a try.

I use dailly this rig for gaming and streaming. I just want a system that i can update with latests drivers and is stable.
          How did you get 364.12 running on 4.5? I mean its running for me to but some applications wont even start, saying my card is not supported. 364.12 doesnt support 4.5.

Comment

Fedora Workstation is pretty stable-- the spins are a little less so, because they don't get as much testing. Usually by the time the kernel and X updates hit Fedora the Nvidia driver has updated against them, so you don't have any problems there. Personally, I use Fedora Workstation as my daily driver, though with AMD/Intel, not Nvidia. If you've got the extra drive laying around, give Fedora a whirl and see if you like it. I will say, the Fedy application is an absolute must if youre new to Fedora.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

1. yes its a great distro

2. if you try it install not the alpha of fedora. Ubuntus alphas and betas are basicly more or less 100% production ready, yes there are maybe some smaller bugs but rarely it results in a not bootable state or something. on the other hand a final ubuntu comes with pretty old stack like debian. fedora is more cutting edge but they have a more traditional view of alphas and betas, it most likely will make serious problems, like the installer is not working and stuff like that.

On the other hand the stable versions are fresher and get more updates like new kernels so it stays longer fresh.

3. that fedora updates kernel versions will most likely make more problems with proprietary drivers, or better said the proprietary drivers will make more problems on such a distro, so for having a primary gaming machine somethhing like steamos would be better.

Comment

it uses wayland compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  Fedora is nice, at least if you put cinnamon on it, it is secure with SELinux and a powerful default firewall configuration, and I like that. I got tired of arch linux for various reasons so I decided to give Fedora a try, and you know what, it's a pretty decent system...

As long as you're not a gamer using proprietary drivers. Same issue I had with Linux mint (except on mint the drivers on top of everything are way too hard to install), proprietary nvidia drivers are liable to break between updates or for other reasons. And well, you never know when you run into a bug (like it was only yesterday that I booted up my system and woops Cinnamon has gone into fallback mode. I had to downgrade it to get the system running again, and this whole ordeal somehow broke steam (says it can't load swrast when I try to start it))

(...)
                  Have you tried using akmods-nvidia on Fedora? It works a bit like dkms on arch I believe; if you've upgraded your kernel, the akmod package will run a post-install hook that will compile the nvidia module for your new kernel as necessary.

In my experience it has worked pretty well on the systems on which I've used it. YMMV of course.

EDIT: The steam issue you're seeing might be due to your NVidia i686 libs having been uninstalled. Try reinstalling them and see if that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by reub2000 View Post
                    Tried it. The installed simply crashed shortly after beginning the install. Will try the beta in a month to see if they fixed the issue.
                    Could you please file a bug for the crash if it's not too much trouble? The installer should give you a step-by-step wizard for submitting a crash report, the only slightly painful bit is you'll need to sign up for a Red Hat Bugzilla account if you don't already have one. This will make it about 100x time more likely that the issue will get fixed (unless someone else happens to have run into and reported the same crash already).

Comment

Working...
                    X